close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Driver (with permit) Flashes Gun at Another Driver

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by dahahn, Feb 19, 2010.

1. dahahn

dahahn

Side note: I'm surprised I beat TheeBadOne to this! :tongueout: As if he'd care, though.

http://www.startribune.com/local/84584517.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

One driver flashes loaded gun at
    another in St. Cloud

One motorist is now in jail after the
    conflict on a busy street.

Star Tribune

Last update: February 17, 2010 - 7:26 PM

A motorist flashed his headlights after being
    cut off on a busy St. Cloud street, prompting
    the other driver to flash a loaded handgun in
    an act that led to his arrest, according to
    authorities.

The person arrested, a 30-year-old man
    from Little Falls, was jailed Tuesday and later
    released pending possible charges. Police
    said he has no criminal history.

The suspect has a permit to carry his weapon
    in public, said police Sgt. Martin Sayre.

According to police:

The 30-year-old, driving an SUV, cut off the
    other driver, a 38-year-old St. Cloud man,
    shortly before 6 p.m. on Division Street near
    12th Avenue. The second motorist reacted
    by flashing his headlights and honking at the
    SUV driver. As the two vehicles headed west
    on Division, the SUV driver brandished a
    handgun, making sure the other motorist
    saw it.

"The victim reported being in fear for his life
    and notified police," read a statement from St.
    Cloud police.

Officers pulled over the suspect and arrested
    him. A loaded gun and his weapon permit
    were found in the vehicle.

Of course my girlfriends parents, who do not like guns, pointed this out. They don't know I carry (there's no reason for them to).

Thanks for the counter-productive arrest, a-hole. Thanks for giving people a tiny tiny bit more ammo (pun intended) against permit holders. It's like the CIA: you never hear about people just regularly carrying, and hardly do you hear about the affect it has on crime. If someone gets arrested and they have a permit, though (no matter what they're arrested for), it's HEADLINES.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

What an idiot,......say goodbye to a CCP, FOREVER!

3. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

faawrenchbndr
    Agreed +1000!:supergrin:

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    This is very very unusual. In MN you will almost never hear of this (the Police mentioning someone having a carry permit).

Carry Permit info is private data, and usually can only be brought up by the person with the permit.

The vast majority of (MN) permit holders who do get in trouble, you never see/read about their permit because of that.

I'm not saying the Sgt "broke the law", but just passing on my my experience with what I've seen and how private the info on Carry Permits is routinely handled.

5. minkis18

minkis18

bad move on his part flashing a gun. yea I know, it sucks having an angry driver chase you but you just gotta think or hope he tries to fight you at a red light.

I've heard of many of these cases where a gun is shown as a "back the !@#$ off" message to road rage and i haven't heard of one ending well for the gun owner. If I feel threatened I'll put the gun under my leg so I can grab it faster but not have it visible but that's as far as I'll go. I make sure to NEVER raise my weapon to window level, even while securing it (damn malls don't allow guns.)

6. farley45

farley45

Road rage is a hell of a thing...

7. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Yanking this guy's CCW might just keep him from doing something even dumber later on.

8. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

That will be up to the Sheriff, and if yanked, the man has the right to an appeal hearing.

9. Hippocrates

Hippocrates

The gun owner sounds like an inconsiderate, bad driver...which should be an arrestable offense anyway.

10. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

A stupid case of road rage that makes the CCP cause look bad.

11. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

Interesting... he was released without charges. Sounds like there may be more to this story... like he was defending himself? One can only hope. :)

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Doesn't necessarily mean that.

Once in jail, there are rules governing the amount of time the Prosecution has to bring charges. The charges MUST be filed in that time or the suspect walks.

Releasing the suspect prior to that time limit allows more investigative time, especially if gathering information/research on additional charges that may apply.

13. kensteele

kensteele

I once had a guy flash his gun at me. I was tailgating and he couldn't get me to back off, so he waved a pistol with the muzzle pointed up from side to side, I could see it thru the back glass of his pickup truck. I did not feel threatened at the time, it was clear to me a warning to back off.

Since I was stupid in my early 20s and this was somewhere on a back road in AL near GA, I got scared and I backed off but I didn't report it (me and a friend were in the car, we laugh about it later). Back when there were no cellphones, I get the impression this might have happened quite a bit.

14. dahahn

dahahn

Please, because I would love to shoot him. WAIT, on second thought...

In regards to permit info being private: thus far they have not arrested him, therefore a name hasn't been released, therefore his status as a permit holder is still private. I see your point, though, and I didn't know that's why they didn't mention that so-and-so had a carry permit. Interesting!

Other than brandishing, what can they get this guy for that he couldn't just plead dumb to?

15. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Perhaps...but that wasn't the point of my post. My intended communication was...Someone who waves a weapon at another person while both are traveling in vehicles is not demonstrating rational behavior and shouldn't be carrying a gun. I can't think of any situation that would justify this behavior.

16. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

I'd wait to see how this really pans out. The Lib Trib isn't exactly un-biased toward gun owners, and they may have meant permit to purchase, not carry.

17. arclight610

arclight610

Wow, I just read some of the MN gun laws. My wife is from the St. Cloud area and wants to move back to MN when I am done in the military. I didn't know MN was so... restrictive.

18. dahahn

dahahn

It's much more lax than certain states. It's no Texas, mind you, but I'd say it's pretty gun friendly. Then again I don't know the laws of other states.

I like to think that MN gives the benefit of the doubt to permit holders in the laws. Like the law on signs banning guns in premises (pl): must be 187 cm on each side with white backround and black text. Placed at eye level. If not, it is an invalid sign.

Things like that, and that they changed the law recently to from a duty-to-retreat to a law where there's no requirement to retreat before you shoot.

19. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Amen!

20. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

Possible but not probable, IMO. You have a complainant that says someone waved a gun at him and he was in fear for his life. Suspect is stopped, arrested, and evidence was obtained to support the complaint. It doesn't get any better than that. Suspect was booked, questioned, and released pending future charges... they let him go. Highly unusual given the slam dunk circumstances. A more plausible explanation is the guy presented a compelling self defense story which cast doubt on who the bad guy really was. Sorry, not ready to put this one in the CCW loser column just yet.