Drive light blinks once every second

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ragin Cajun, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Can't figure what's going on. Have run all virus, etc. scans, shut down all applications, even some processes. Don't remember seeing this before the last week or so. First noticed it when I was going to bed and noticed the light flickering in the dark. Very regular, blinks about once per second.

Anyone else seen this?

Dell 9100, Raid 1 HD, Intel duo, etc., 4 gig RAM, XP Pro, only two months old.

Thanks in advace,

RC

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

The raid controller is backing up your main drive to the other one. :upeyes:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/singleLevel1-c.html

3. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Open up task manager.. click on the Processes tab..

Each process listed is "running" on your computer... and some of those processes, like svchost, is a single entry for many processes..

Almost all of these process are continuously polling devices and objects waiting for I/O to happen..

And all of that is happening both in your system ram and in virtual memory call a page file on your hard drive..

4. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Wow! That was fast. Thanks for the help!

This is my second computer that has RAID 1. The drive light on the older computer is very difficult to see even when on steady. The light on this new computer is easy to see, expecially in the dark when I first noticed it. Obviously this has been going on all this time.

I run CAD and data storage, back-up, etc. is vital to my survival, thus RAID 1. I am paranoid about back-ups and - knock-knock - have never lost data, even when I had a hard drive AND controller failure on a previous non-RAID machine. I had back-ups that were current.

Thanks again.

RC

5. Toyman

Toyman