close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Drive Letter Assignments

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by seanmac45, May 25, 2006.

1. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

My Dell XPS crashed last weekend after I stupidly tried to help someone recover data off of their drive by inserting it into my machine. DOH!

OK; the machine has been reformatted. It uses SATA HD's the original is now in the secondary slot and a brand new 300 gig is the primary with OS and all program files installed.

My problem is that the old HD is still assigned C: and the new primary is K:.

Can anyone advise how to change the drive letter designations?

I also have a multi-card reader installed, which is why there are so many drive letters being utilized.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

I have no idea, but I ran across this. Some guy ended up with his C: drive being E: after a clean install of Windows XP and wanted to change it back:

I would back up anything that I really cared about before doing anything.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Yes, not a problem I do it all the time. I just take the drive from the bad machine and just change the jumper from Master to Slave.
    Piece of cake.

Ok Sounds good to me.

Jumpers.
    The Old HD should have been reformatted, you have removed all the data you needed from the Original HD right?

4. NoSuchStudios

NoSuchStudios Squirrely Wrath

I would say the easiest way would probably be to unplug all the drives minus the drive with the OS on it the reboot it. It should reassign the drive to C: Then plug back in the other drives and you should be square.

I dont' have any experience with the XPS series but if they haven't changed things that much then it should work. If not then you should be able to do it through the Administrative Tools section.

5. Tom34

Tom34 Obama Must Go!

In XP Pro:

Start > Programs > Accessories > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management > Right Click on the Drive you want to change > left click on change Drive Letters.