Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
CLM #38
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dell XPS crashed last weekend after I stupidly tried to help someone recover data off of their drive by inserting it into my machine. DOH!

OK; the machine has been reformatted. It uses SATA HD's the original is now in the secondary slot and a brand new 300 gig is the primary with OS and all program files installed.

My problem is that the old HD is still assigned C: and the new primary is K:.

Can anyone advise how to change the drive letter designations?

I also have a multi-card reader installed, which is why there are so many drive letters being utilized.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Unreconstructed
1,712 Posts
I have no idea, but I ran across this. Some guy ended up with his C: drive being E: after a clean install of Windows XP and wanted to change it back:

Change Disk Drive Letters
First you must remember that you CANNOT change the letter for the boot drive if it contains the PAGEFILE.SYS (swap file).
To move it use Control Panel | System | Advanced tab | Settings under Performance | Advanced tab again | Virtual Memory and CHANGE button. set the drive you want to move FROM to NONE and click on SET. set the drive you want to move TO and click SET.

THEN
Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Management under Storage, then RIGHT click on the drive letter to change and select the Change Letter option.

THEN following the first procedure set the PAGEFILE.SYS back to the drive it was on originally.

XP automatically adjusts the registry for the drive letter changes.

I would back up anything that I really cared about before doing anything.

·
Always Faithful
968 Posts
My Dell XPS crashed last weekend after I stupidly tried to help someone recover data off of their drive by inserting it into my machine. DOH!
Yes, not a problem I do it all the time. I just take the drive from the bad machine and just change the jumper from Master to Slave.
Piece of cake.

OK; the machine has been reformatted. It uses SATA HD's the original is now in the secondary slot and a brand new 300 gig is the primary with OS and all program files installed.
Ok Sounds good to me.

My problem is that the old HD is still assigned C: and the new primary is K
Jumpers.
The Old HD should have been reformatted, you have removed all the data you needed from the Original HD right?

·
Squirrely Wrath
172 Posts
I would say the easiest way would probably be to unplug all the drives minus the drive with the OS on it the reboot it. It should reassign the drive to C: Then plug back in the other drives and you should be square.

I dont' have any experience with the XPS series but if they haven't changed things that much then it should work. If not then you should be able to do it through the Administrative Tools section.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In XP Pro:

Start > Programs > Accessories > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management > Right Click on the Drive you want to change > left click on change Drive Letters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts