Dreams of my kittens....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Nov 14, 2010.

1. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

This is kind of sad, actually.

We have two cats, one now 16 years old, and one 4. The old one is sure to pass away soon, but for now she is doing OK.

My wife put a load of fresh dried laundy on the bed, nice and warm and cuddly. The cat immidiatly curled up in the middle, worked itself under a layer or two and is still laying there purring.

She noted that if there was a Soylent Green for cats, that is the scene and location he would want in his 'termination room'. Wow, thats morbid.

Then I got to wondering, where would your pet wants to be in terms of setting and sound if it had to be put down. I know most happen in a vets office. But is the pet had a choice....

2. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

my favorite cat is just turning 13..he is a nasty,mean little son of a gun..he attacks the neighbors dog,harrases every animail that we bring home,, he keeps walking up to my kid,bites his ankles and then walks away...has been run over twice,,,broken leg has a split ear and i just had to pay a $200 vet bill to have a inch and a half long fang removed the he somehow bent sideways..im betting he dreams of dying in battle..

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I have an older cat. First, I don't think they think about these things. They live in the moment. That said, we tend to project our ideas on our pets, and I think most of us would want our pets' last moments to be happy.

My bud Lightnin is in one of his favorite spots now, curled up on a wool blanket in a chair by the window, soaking up the afternoon sun. My wish for him when the time comes would be for him to drift off there and just not wake up.

It's still possible to find vets who make house calls for euthanasia. It's best to plan on the event so they have time to prepare and not feel they're going to get into a situation...

4. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

I know, the question really is in what environment is your pet most comfortable.

As for planning, you mean me or the pet or the vet?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

You would need to talk with the vet.

btw, I haven't done this, but have heard others tell of it. All my EUs have been in the vet's office.

6. kbandy

kbandy

Our dog Bob would want to up my wifes a** were he trys to stay every time I get close to her.

7. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

We lost our 19 y/o Maine Coon last year.

He went right where he was most comfortable at the time....at the bottom of our bed. Three of us fell asleep that night, and only two of us woke up.

8. VAisForGlockers

VAisForGlockers

:rofl:

9. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Bogey. I lost two Maine Coons. One, Thomas, was a neighbor's house cat till they had a baby and they put him outside. The other, Taz, I raised from the time my ex wife found him in a leaf pile back in December of '89. Bottle fed him as he was too young to care for himself when she found him. Thomas, I wasn't able to take him inside as I would have liked, was hit in the road in front of my house and was laying beside my car door still warm one cold spring morning. Taz had to be put down at 14 because his kidneys were failing. They were the best cats a man could have asked to have. I want them to be waiting for me when I go.

Gray_Rider
    Deo Vindice!

10. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I've had to put more thn one dog and cat put down in my long life. The pet wants to be with you in those final moments. It is painless from what I can tell by observing them...they just quit breathing and are gone without a whimper. I always take an older shirt or clothing to carry them in that has my scent, and always bring them home to bury them, regardless of any stupid ordinance that says you can't bury a pet in a backyard. It's my yard and my pet, and I derive much solace from having my departed loved critter in a place where I can take care of their graves and visit with them when I want.

11. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Back in January, I had my old husky put down...I would never have mine put down in a cold office among strangers, mine died in my arms. Most vets will do house calls for euthenasia.

12. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I can only speculate where my pets would have liked to been, but I do wish they'd been able to go so peacefully.