Featured Dreaded ND

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Josh Ari, Apr 29, 2018.

1. youngde811

youngde811

My EDC weapons are my Glock 19.4, 19.5 and 23.4. Ammunition availability usually dictates what I carry, and right now I'm having trouble deciding between my 19 and 23. I also have an HK USP 45 Compact. That's actually what I'd like to carry, but my .45 supply isn't quite what I'd like it to be.

I forgot the point I wanted to make, but whatever.

Oh! I remember. Yes, I always carry Condition One.

Cheers!

2. william the great

william the great

That was my point. You can forget to put the safety on I don’t care how much you train.

3. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Then I'm no better or worse than carrying a Glock.:freak:

And if I put the safety on--MUCH BETTER!!!!:dancingbanana:

EDIT: You carry as you wish--& SO WILL I.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    PhotoFeller likes this.
  4. william the great

william the great

5. Norsemen2020

Norsemen2020

Glad you’re ok. It could have been so much worse! I’ve been reading a number of ND stores similar to yours and it has me rethinking leather or soft holsters. I’ve read several stories where the cause was the soft side of the holster folded in slightly when inserting the weapon and depressed the trigger. Scary stuff.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  6. bcj128

bcj128

It can happen to anyone...it's posts like this that remind me "therefore but by the grace of God there go I..."

You can train, have the best gun with the best safeties, and things can still go wrong. All it takes is one moment of absent mindedness. We need to learn, and always look to better ways to do things...

7. marshal d

marshal d

I've carried most every day for over fifty years and never had an ND. Until this morning, I would have said there is a good chance I never will. But because I was in a hurry, I just fired an Officer's Colt in my closet. Leaving for a short trip and putting some pistols in the safe. I haven't carried this Colt for years. I spotted it on the top shelf and noticed it was cocked.

Thought I would dry fire to store it with the hammer down. I THOUGHT I had stored it unloaded. Light was not on in the closet and somehow I didn't see the inserted mag. I know, hard to do. I clicked off the safety and racked the slide to make sure the chamber was empty. Nothing ejected, so I pointed at the floor between my feet and pulled the trigger. Apparently the chamber was empty on a loaded mag. Those 45's sure are loud in a closet! Really disappointed in my lack of attention to safety, but some consolation that I do have the habit of never pulling a trigger unless the muzzle is in a safe direction.

On a positive note. My wife has one of those Scentsy pots in the bedroom and I really don't care for it's aroma. Kinda enjoying the sweet smell of gunpowder.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  8. marshal d

marshal d

Didn't mean to reply to WTG. Reposting to general thread.

I've carried most every day for over fifty years and never had an ND. Until this morning, I would have said there is a good chance I never will. But because I was in a hurry, I just fired an Officer's Colt in my closet. Leaving for a short trip and putting some pistols in the safe. I haven't carried this Colt for years. I spotted it on the top shelf and noticed it was cocked.

Thought I would dry fire to store it with the hammer down. I THOUGHT I had stored it unloaded. Light was not on in the closet and somehow I didn't see the inserted mag. I know, hard to do. I clicked off the safety and racked the slide to make sure the chamber was empty. Nothing ejected, so I pointed at the floor between my feet and pulled the trigger. Apparently the chamber was empty on a loaded mag. Those 45's sure are loud in a closet! Really disappointed in my lack of attention to safety, but some consolation that I do have the habit of never pulling a trigger unless the muzzle is in a safe direction.

On a positive note. My wife has one of those Scentsy pots in the bedroom and I really don't care for it's aroma. Kinda enjoying the sweet smell of gunpowder.

9. josey

josey

Same thing happened to me last January ... I hadn`t ride my bike for a few weeks because I had sold my house , bought another and I was involved on the moving , furniture transporting , etc . My safe was moved in empty and I was on the process of starting to fil it with the firearms , so I started with the handguns first at the top . First, I grabbed my little TCP 738 which I use for riding my bike and I "THOUGHT" I had stored it empty as I normally do with all my guns that I have on the house (except for the one I carry which is the only one loaded ) and stupidly , as I am becoming mentally retarded I guess, I pulled the trigger .
    The pistol fired and the .380 rd got embedded on one the lower shelves .
    Thankfully , that was all the damage .
    I am always very careful when handling my guns , but it takes only a slight mistake . I never would pull a trigger unless it points to a safe direction so it came out to just the bang and a little hole on the bottom of a safe`s shelf , but it can happen to anybody ... it happened to me , so I now have a ND record in my mind to remember to be even more careful and never pull a trigger again unless I can absolutely , visually check that the chamber is empty .

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    marshal d likes this.
  10. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well sounds to me like your glock came out a bit further then 1/4 inch and you finger ended up on the trigger. Glad your doing ok. I only carry a DAO in my front pocket.

11. eman2016

eman2016

I picked up my Colt Mark IV series 80 from the gunsmith. They did trigger work so I asked the desk lady for permission to do a trigger pull. I racked the slide and let it go forward a couple times, checked the chamber. She even thanked me for having the manners to ask for permission which many customers don’t. After my trigger pull I realized they handed it to me with the mag I left them to test fire inserted and like a rookie idiot I never hit the slide release.

No rounds so everything was fine.
    They cleared everything and just put the mag in so it wouldn’t be separated from the gun. Still, I should have never counted on them handing me a gun with no mag in it or an empty mag in it. Could have easily been a missed round in there. Racking the slide and checking the chamber provided reasonable assurances there’d be nothing there for the firing pin to make contact with, and I pointed it at the floor, but still... what if I did one half assed rack that chambered the round and didn’t do a good visual inspection.

Nothing happened and nobody noticed except me but I beat myself up for it the whole ride home and promise myself not to forget hitting the mag release again in that scenario.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    MadCityJack, davedc and marshal d like this.
  12. texmex

texmex

The more I read this thread, the more I love my double action revolvers.

Bus007, Sgt127, MadCityJack and 2 others like this.
  13. MadCityJack

MadCityJack

Thank you for your service and your willingness to share. I know it will help keep others safe.

IronCitEE likes this.
  14. IronCitEE

IronCitEE

T hurry guy tIU itree

15. peng

peng

Are you having a stroke?

16. Redtape1

Redtape1

I'm glad you escaped more serious injury - you certainly have to experience to know what you are doing.
    I have yet to be satisfied with my Glock 43 w/o a safety for the very reason you experienced. My latest "solution" is to buy an "Sneaky Pete" holster where there would seem to be little room for an AD. What do you think. I hate to carry with the chamber empty since it makes too much noise and takes time to load. Therefore I do currently carry w/o one in the chamber, and I feel vulnerable.

17. SASI

SASI

Glock 42; underwood xtreme penetrator into upper thigh, broken femur - now rod from hip to knee. Details on previous post couple years back. Oh, I'll just stick it into pocket to get out the door with hands full. Famous last words

18. william the great

william the great

I wouldn’t shove a BB gun in my pocket. I think pocket carry is just asking for a problem. On the other hand sorry to hear about your situation. I switched to mostly carrying 1911s glocks have been sitting in safe.

19. Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Glad you're ok.
    I swore off pocket carry when my stainless 640 fell out of my shorts pocket and smashed my big toe in the changing room at Beals, felt like someone smashed it with a hammer.
    At least it didn't booger up the finish though.