Featured Dreaded ND

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Josh Ari, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Losf3d3r4135

Pocket carry simply isn’t adequate. Not for someone who knows better. It’s seductive and convenient, but it doesn’t cut it for multiple reasons.

2. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

It’s nice that we have a safe space to talk about ND’s. I hope the outside world doesn’t stroll into this forum and get the impression that every gun owner will blow a hole in their house at some point. There are plenty of us who have never had an ND and never will.

The beauty of the 4 rules is their redundancy. You generally have to break two or more rules for somebody to get hurt.

Put your finger on the trigger and the gun is pointed safely toward the sky. BANG. Granny is OK.
    Accidentally sweep Granny with your muzzle. Finger is high up on the frame. Granny is OK.
    Put your finger on the trigger AND waive muzzle around toward Granny= Big problem.

Finger on trigger when not ready to shoot should be setting off alarm bells in your head immediately. Like driving to work not wearing any pants. Dry firing and gun handling more often will engrain this sensation, if you are doing it properly.

Whether a gun is hot on the range or TRIPLE checked empty before a dry fire session, think of a 300 yard lightsaber beam continuously exiting the barrel. Would you intentionally burn a hole through your foot, pet cat, room with family in it, your hand, or anything else you care about? Then don’t point the muzzle at those things.

I may walk out the door after posting this and blow a hole in my femoral artery with a round of +P 9mm. But I genuinely doubt it. OCD is your friend when it comes to gun handling and reloading. Apologies in advance if I sound like an arrogant little *****. I applaud those with the courage to share mistakes so that we are reminded of important lessons.

My post is more for those outside the gun community who might get the wrong idea. Many people will handle and shoot guns for thousands of hours over their lifetime and never have an accident. The whole ‘if you handle guns long enough you will have an ND’ thing is incorrect.

n2g and HardRice like this.

3. illrooster132

illrooster132

open carry would prevent this... so they say, carry on.

4. william the great

william the great

I don’t have a granny anymore. Lol

5. josey

josey

That is why I installed the SiderLock manual safety on my G-30SF .
    I firmly believe that a manual safety is mandatory on a normal everyday carry weapon .

PhotoFeller likes this.
  6. eman2016

eman2016

Not far from me a Certified local law enforcement instructor shot a cadet or a cop in the chest in training while demonstrating the trigger Pull on their new issue weapon.

I tell people who ask my help getting started with guns anybody at any skill or experience level can make a Deadly mistake but the odds are especially good it’s going to happen to experienced gun handlers. When you are new to it and properly educated you’re scared. You take your time, you repeat the rules to yourself. You think about what you’re doing. You’re deliberate. You contemplate every step.

It’s those of us who’ve been handling guns for 10, 15, 20-plus years who tend to want to do everything too quickly and absent mindedly. We have to constantly remind ourselves to slow down, contemplate what we’re doing and be a little nervous because we’ve grown so comfortable with it.

It’s a natural, inevitable problem we have to force ourselves to recognize and overcome.

For holsters I am mostly kydex IWB Now. What happens with fabrics on some Cheaper rigs is they wear out and flop around and leave room for things to force their way into the trigger guard.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    n2g, buster55 and PhotoFeller like this.
  7. biscut53

biscut53

I support your freedom to do what you feel is best for you and I don't challenge your decision to add a safety. I do personally disagree with it. The safety is between your ears. I would ask instead why not simply buy a firearm with whatever safety you feel most comfortable with?

No challenger here as it's your call but I do wonder what was behind the decision. No judgement, I applaud the measures to be safe. As an instructor I like to hear the reasoning behind a decision.

Green Dragoon likes this.
  8. josey

josey

Well, I like the G30SF model . It is a reliable weapon , compact , with a 10rd capacity , very accurate . What is not to like ? the lack of manual safety , so , I studied the problem and found the SiderLock , which doesn`t interfere with the gun systems , can be easily reversed to original and it is a cheap, effective manual safety that works , so , I installed it .
    I love my G-30SF . What I like most is the accuracy and the softer recoil (for a .45 ACP that is) and its capacity of 10+1 rds, which is really amazing for a gun that size .
    I usually carry with a full mag , with an empty chamber so the safety is not engaged , but if , for any reason I decide to do it , the manual safety will be engaged .
    I would never carry a gun with one rd chambered without having the manual safety engaged .
    That is my philosophy on the matter , so, there you have it .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    PhotoFeller likes this.
  9. biscut53

biscut53

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

10. youngde811

youngde811

I generally carry a Glock 23 using an Alien Gear IWB. Lately though my EDC has been an HK USP 45 compact (DA/SA). The reason being I must unholster and register numerous times per day, as I'm prohibited from carrying my weapon inside the office.
    I've never had a problem, but did have a close call the other day. Caught myself reholstering my 23 with my finger slightly inside the trigger guard. I've been shooting 15 years and have NEVER done that. Complacency? Nope. An "accident". Damn that was unnerving.

Cheers.

PhotoFeller likes this.
  11. youngde811

youngde811

Thank you both for protecting our great country, and for your sacrifices.

Cheers.

12. youngde811

youngde811

The OP shouldn't be thrown under the bus, because this kind of thing could happen to any of us. Sure, when we're alert we carry carefully and no worries. But, think about going out to your car, at midnight, after a 20 hour workday because everything went to hell. You're exhausted, but need to reholster your weapon because the ONLY way home is through a rough neighborhood. It only takes a situation like this to get any one of us in trouble.

The OP did us all a great service.

Cheers

n2g, Dynactus and PhotoFeller like this.
  13. youngde811

youngde811

I simply cannot agree with your assessment that a Glock should never be carried Condition One. First, by your argument just about any "Glock-like" pistol fits your category. And second, there is zero time to draw, rack slide, get the muzzle on target, and fire, in a close-up, unexpected situation.

You will lose.

14. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

"QUOTE"
    And second, there is zero time to draw, rack slide, get the muzzle on target, and fire, in a close-up, unexpected situation.

I agree, that's why I carry a Taurus G2C or a Sig 365 fully loaded with the safety off. The safety goes on when holstering.

I refuse to carry a Glock w/a round chambered.

youngde811 likes this.
  15. youngde811

youngde811

Fair enough. Your choice of a weapon with a safety, incorporated into your training, is a perfectly viable approach.

Cheers.

n2g likes this.
  16. BrazosCoTX

BrazosCoTX

For that very reason, I utilize a trigger guard holster (TGH) on my 43 while it is riding in the Blackhawk pocket holster. Several manufacturers make them, mine is from Black Rhino. No way for that trigger to be engaged until I yank the TGH off of it. Now, some will say that my added safety measure will delay my being able to put the gun into action, and they are correct, in that I have added a step that must be taken before I can fire the weapon; however, pocket carry for me is not a "quick draw" exercise. Instead, it's a means of having a weapon concealed when a concealed belt holster is not convenient. I'm relying on my situational awareness to buy me time to either exit the area or allow me to get to cover while I draw the weapon. YMMV.

youngde811 and PhotoFeller like this.
  17. william the great

william the great

Just carry a rock and throw it. Because you can screw up and not put the safety on when you reholster. I have a lot of glocks and I carry a 1911 most of the time. I would never carry my glock without a round chambered.

youngde811 and Duck of Death like this.
  18. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

I'd much rather read about someone else shooting themselves and thinking "Damn, that was stupid" then reminding myself of the 5.56 round I put through my ceiling in '95. Learning vicariously requires repetition apparently. Thank you for taking one for the team, literally.

glock1097 likes this.
  19. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

"QUOTE"
    Because you can screw up and not put the safety on when you reholster.

If I didn't put the safety on & reholstered how is that different than carrying a Glock w/no thumb safety????

Putting the safety on before holstering is called TRAINING!!!

n2g and youngde811 like this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Your choice. As is others choice never to carry a gun. To me that “safety” and empty chamber would be a concern. Every gun I own is considered loaded. (Including the unaired ones in original box that have never been loaded)
    Train with that button, racking slide. (I hope in the unlikely event you NEED a gun. You will have time, both hands, you have practiced off belt...)
    I found I didn’t like condition one carry with a 1911. I realize it’s a training issue. Decided I liked it better for competition so mostly retired it from daily carry. When I do it’s condition one if proper holster.