Featured Dreaded ND

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Josh Ari, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Josh Ari

Josh Ari

I share this story so that others may learn, take from it what you
    want.
    First some brief background, I served in the military as USAF Security police, I had exposure to and was qualified as expert on all small arms available to us at the time. After my enlistment was up I left the military and found work as an armed courier for a govt contractor for a number of years waiting for the police dept call.
    I then served as a county police officer for 25 years and retired not too long ago. I can easily say that for more than 35 years I have handled weapons as a work related tool almost daily. I have handled a variety of firearms for recreation. I consider myself very safety conscious and never complacent.

2 weeks ago I was carrying my Glock 43 in a Desantis nemesis holster in my front right pocket. I returned home from a short trip to the ATM and began the process of securing my weapon, I was removing the gun from my right front pocket as a whole, gun and holster together, as I did so it began to slide up from the holster. I didn't give much thought to it and was re-inserting what only felt like a 1/4 inch rise from the holster. What I believe happened next is that it actually came out enough that the loose fitting pullover I was wearing somehow got inside the trigger guard and as i pushed down...BANG! Negligent discharge! First thought immediately, how? Second thought, check yourself for holes

The bullet entered my right thigh traveled about 5 inches and excited above my knee, it then traveled straight and re-entered my shin below my knee and traveled about 6 inches and exited finally hitting the floor and stopping. I felt nothing, I initially didn't think I had been hit. I had my wonderful understanding partner drive me to the hospital and incredibly nothing major was affected and its healing nicely.
    How this truly happened is a mystery, I only suspect that my pullover had caused this, there is that possibility something malfunctioned. I won't have the pistol back for another two weeks at which time I can look into this as a possibility.

I am rethinking pocket carry and pocket holsters and going back to the use of the original never fail thumb break pancake.
    I love my glocks but now considering only pistols with an external thumb safety ie: shield
    well I am rethinking a lot of things.
    Looking for others thoughts on the subject

Catinthehat, Davers, A-Train and 49 others like this.
  2. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Thanks for sharing,glad you are o.k.

SH10151, Cynthia7421, Dcc65 and 16 others like this.

3. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck

Thanks for sharing, and for your service. Glad you're ok. Could easily have been REALLY bad.

Cynthia7421, APERS, ginelmore and 9 others like this.
  4. Bcw7101

Bcw7101

I’m glad you are alive to tell us the story.

Cynthia7421, Dcc65, Deputy and 3 others like this.
  5. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

Amen.....glad you're ok and thanks for your candor on this subject. I'm an RSO at a busy, private club during our IDPA and Steel competitions. The majority of times I have to command "stop" is during holstering.

What happened to you is the reason why I won't carry appendix or in a pocket....even with a holster. I'll only carry in a secured, "fixed" position.

I just want to express one more time that I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

6. kiser64

kiser64

Thanks for your service and I'm glad nothing critical was hit and you are healing well! Thank you for sharing your story, too. More often than not, the learning experience for others is lost on the one who experiences a ND. Your experience, like others I've heard over the years, typically make me re-cage my gyro. I often find that I'm in some state of complacency. They always say there are those who have and those who will. You have probably help those who will gain a little more time before it does! Again, glad you are ok and thanks for posting!

7. JN01

JN01

Sounds like a one in a million event that is unlikely to happen to you again.

Kind of hard to envision how part of your pullover could get inside your pocket and into the trigger guard. Was there anything else in your pocket? Perhaps the gun came out of the holster further than you think and the top edge of it pressed the trigger.

Hindsight is always easy, but if the gun slips out of the holster, the best thing would be to remove it from the pocket completely, then remove the holster and re-insert the gun before returning it to your pocket.

Using a kydex pocket holster with a bit of tension to keep the gun inside reduces the risk as well.

Glad to hear you didn't suffer any serious injury. Good luck on your recovery.

8. Rocky7

Rocky7

I carry appendix and pocket and appreciate your courage in sharing. Not for one second can we relax when it comes to firearms. The bomb(bullet) you carry can have consequences that we all may regret.

Good Luck to all.

9. R9S19

R9S19

Damn. Glad you're okay.

10. DrewBone

DrewBone

Welcome to the forum, that's one heck of a first post.

My first thought was that that's cutting it a little too close to your femoral artery. I'm sure overall that it was a miserable experience, but I'm glad that you survived to tell about it and noone else was injured. Your story will I'm sure give many here something to ponder, thanks for sharing.

11. Gloctapus

Gloctapus

Glad you’re OK. Definitely makes me rethink any carry that doesn’t involve kydex or a heavy DA trigger. I’m grateful for these real-world stories, it helps prevent complacency.

Que somebody saying ‘open carry would have prevented this’ lol

12. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI

Sorry to hear it happened but at least you're okay for the most part. I daily pack around and carry a Gen4 G27 in a Remora pocket holster. It holds it firm and it doesn't slip out unless I pull on the gun, so it seems like something definitely manipulated your trigger, I'd say either a piece of clothing or a flap on the DeSantis if I had to guess. I've dropped previous Glocks I've owned and I've never had one go off by itself, even after a hard fall, so I wouldn't give up on Glocks.

Cynthia7421, Quigley and refugeepj like this.
  13. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

This is why I don't carry a Glock C1.
    Thank you for your service sir!

14. refugeepj

refugeepj

holy ----!
    welcome, thanks for your service.
    that doesn't sound OK at all!
    i have had three ND's in over forty years of CC, never an injury. did scare the heck out of me.
    heal and learn.
    your experience, and willingness to speak of it, may well prevent one of us from the same error.
    i have an LC9s pro that is carried in a pocket holster at times. i will be more aware because of you.

Davers, Cynthia7421, Dcc65 and 6 others like this.
  15. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Glad you’re okay. An incident like this serves to make us all a little more careful. We have a saying in the oilfield that safety regulations are written in blood and unfortunately that’s true. Also welcome aboard. Good to hear from a fellow 811x2/0.

Cynthia7421 and rayzer007 like this.
  16. MO's Dink

MO's Dink Giant Member

Glad you're OK but I do have a couple of questions.

Have you changed the trigger in any way on your 43? I ask because mine is factory and a noticeably heavier pull than my other Glocks.

What type of ammo was in the gun? Was it FMJ? I ask this because of the way you describe it as in and out, in and out, and healing nicely. I would think that a hollow point would do a little more damage.

Cynthia7421 likes this.
  17. Josh Ari

Josh Ari

This is an entirely stock Glock 43, Battle field green, it was my edc off duty and dept issue Speer Gold dot ammo, it was hollow point. I was lucky in that it was point blank at entry and on an angle that it didnt pentetrate deeply and followed a path straight just below the surface of the skin about 1/2 an inch. It didnt hit any muscle or bone so nothing really to cause the point to expand initially, I imagine it started to expand on the second entry because that one was right along the surface and it was a larger entry and torn along the way. The doctor said it looks more like a burn as its all just a big long rip. the bullet fully expanded at impact with the floor and also stopped there. I have some pics of the injury but I'd think they are not for posting

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  18. Overkill777

Overkill777

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad it was not worse.

I would like to see pictures of the wound of you are okay with sharing them.

Cynthia7421 likes this.
  19. leathermaneod

leathermaneod

Very glad to hear you are ok and not more seriously injured! Also thank you for the reminder to always be conscious and aware for this sort of thing. Also, thank you for your lifelong service! My suggestion would be a SCD or striker control device. Many people don’t like them and think they are unnecessary and question what they could prevent. Used properly, one could have prevented this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lexibilly likes this.
  20. First shot

First shot

Definitely one heck of an introduction post... Thanks for the reminder that it can happen to seasoned firearms handlers as well as newbies...Hope your recovery is swift..

Catinthehat and n2g like this.