close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Downloading from ftp with Windows

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Washington D.C., Feb 2, 2005.

1. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

A friend has Windows XP with SP2.He used to have a bit torrent program installed and it was working.He had some probloms with it one day and changed some settings in the bit torrent program.I don't know what changes this made to his system.After the changes he couldn't download from ftp using any browser.He then uninstalled the bit torrent program.He still can't download from ftp.I can't figure out what to change in Windows to allow ftp downloads now.This is a problem with both IE and Mozilla.I don't know if his change of settings or adding SP2 caused this.He says not only can he not download but his connection to ftp is refused.

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

I know in I.E. you have to turn on

Use passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)

Tools/Internet Options/Advanced
    Scroll down to find that option. I believe it requires reboot once thats set.

Hope that helps.

IE sucks so bad with FTP

Mozilla FireFox is so much better.

Did something get written to his localhosts file?

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

How much do you want to bet that something in the "New, Improved XP Security Center Firewall" got changed when he was tinkering?

You may even need to shut the FW off and try to FTP from a networked machine to get this working.

The last time I saw this and setting permissions in the FW and IE didn't work, I tried to do a Repair of IE. Still not good.

Finally I had to use a slipstreamed SP2 XP disk to run the sfc /scannow check against his OS to fix it.;Q

The firewall had broken itself.

GL

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I don't think it's an IE or browser problem.I have XP with SP2 and DSL and I have no problems downloading from FTP.I didn't have to change any settings.I was hoping to at least get his back to the defaults."Use passive FTP" is checked in IE.I haven't had a good look at SP2 firewall but he thinks the problem was a setting change caused by the bit torrent program.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Problem solved.Somehow the settings in his Norton internet security firewall got changed.Thanks guys.;c

6. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

fastvfr

Hit the nail on the head. As always ;)