close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Downgrading internet/home phone

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LongGoneDays, Jan 5, 2010.

1. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

At&t website says 6mbps for $37.95 but "not in your area"
    3mbps for the same $37.95 :upeyes:

I did it for 3 months and it will cost too much to go back to Comcast, and the next price ranges are $32.95 for 1.5mbps. $5 whole dollars in my pocket, for half the speed. WTF?

So I (as a matter of principle) went with the cheapest option

Downstream Speed: Up to 768 Kbps
    Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps

for $19.95 :rofl: as of January 7th

It's going to be like 2002 all over again. Actually I'll be ok, I'll have to test this out on Netflix. I'm sure it won't work. Also dropped my home phone from $23.95 to $12.00 because it's never plugged in. Don't need caller id or call waiting if you don't plug in the phone right? The line is for the alarm.

I see myself getting aggravated and *gasp* calling Comcast for their 6mbps. I think it's around $60 in my area.

2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

They don't even offer highspeed here, and it's not like I live in the boonies.

3. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I live in the middle of nowhere. I get a dedicated DSL line (whatever that means) and phone for $60 a month. I cant complain. The internet is faster than anywhere else I have lived.

4. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

I'm in the same boat. My biggest question is whats the minimum speed needed for your average websurfer. I don't plan on watching movies or gaming. Just things like picture threads, youtube, and occassionally music. Also concidering magicjack.

5. bchandler

bchandler

You should just cancel home phone and use that $12 to get the next higher internet speed. That's what cell phones are for.

6. iontrap

iontrap

My wife and I have been considering dropping our land line to save the $30+ taxes per month. We may do it if I can transfer my land line number to my cell phone.

7. LongGoneDays

Anything around 768-1024 Kbps. It probably won't be fast enough for videos but for everything else I do it is.

I said I don't use the home phone except for my home alarm.
    Unless it's to make a call to an #800 during the day time.

8. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

DSL @ 5/1mgb on one side of the livingroom, Cox Cable on the other side @ 10/1.5 or somewhat. And I reboot for electrical storms and not always then.

Bandwidth is air. Soar...

9. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

How long do pictures take to load though? I don't want to open up a webpage with dozens of pics and have to wait a long time to view them

10. hal8000

hal8000

I'm using that 19.95 package and it isn't that bad. You aren't waiting on web pages. You can do Netflix. I wouldn't expect too much from it if you have more than one person on at a time though.

11. LongGoneDays

Web pages will load fine. If you are viewing say a thread here on GT that's loaded with big pictures you will notice the difference. There comes a point where it is going to take a certain amount of time for stuff to load because of your computer/browser limitations.

After that the actual speed of your web doesn't matter once it's at least the slowest dsl, in my opinion.

I'm pricing out Comcast stuff right now. May be use the service for 6 months intro price then swap back. I don't know.

12. LongGoneDays

Well all's well that ends well.

I haggled with Comcast and it occured to me:

get the web + unlimited phone AND keep my home phone that's just for my alarm.

$19.95 for 6Mbps web @ 6 months, then goes up to $42.95 per month
    $19.95 for Unlimited everything phone @ 12 months then $39.95 per month
    I can drop the phone down to the cheap package after then, not like I need all that.

After you add in what I'm paying for Direct tv + the home phone with At&t I'm paying out the backside for sure, but I'll have everything exactly how I want it.

13. LongGoneDays

Man. 768kbps SUCKED. Loading 2 pages at once crippled it. Either things have really really changed in the past few years, or they were screwing with me to get me to switch back.

Went back to the 3Mbps. Sure it ticks me off that I'm on the old Bellsouth setup when the att website says 6MBps, but to hell with saving 18 dollars a month for that slow crap lol.

14. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Wife and I are ready to unplug our AT&T home phone and go with just the DSL. We would like to be able to dail E911 and have our home address appear on the system. You don't get that when dialing 911 from a cell phone.

15. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Not for nothing but, I got a MagicJack (20 a year) just to have a number to give people that wasn't my cell and I signed up for Smith Thompson Alram Monitoring for 17 bucks a month. They came out and (for free with 2 year commitment) installed a cellular alarm system for half the price I was paying for ADT and I didn't need a land line.

Something to consider.

I make no commision from the sales of MagicJack dongles or Smith Thonpson accounts :D

ETA: Essentially I went from paying ~20 dollars a month for a land line and ~30 dollars a month for ADT to paying close to 20 dollars a month for a superior alarm system (all upgraded equipment including an extra master panel in the master bed room and added glass break detectors) and monitoring and phone with caller ID, voicemail and my home phone number follows me anywhere I take the dongle and a laptop.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Depending on what you do, thats really not that bad. There's folks out in the sticks stuck on Dial up, that would kill for those speeds. Probably won't be very good for Downloads from Netflix though, like you said.

For normal stuff though... Surfing, Youtube, Downloading music on occasion, etc.. It seems fine to me.

IGF

17. viniglock

viniglock

Cable/Netflix directly to my TV(unlimited)/Magic-jack(unlimited calling) and internet all for less than $50 a month. That is about $50 bucks in my pocket a month.

18. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Unless you need a land line for security, I'd drop it and lean on your cell phone.

19. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Internet is now the lifeline for most of us. I know I can't live without it.

20. LongGoneDays

I found their site and I'm checking it out, thanks a lot!