Dovetail wear from replacing rear sight too many times, is this a thing?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bunnies4r5, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Bunnies4r5

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys, been shooting for about 6 months now so still kinda new so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Can you wear out your rear sight dove tail from too many installations? I have used a sight pusher with some fine adjustment from a punch. Ameriglo is replacing a rear sight that has one tritium vial glowing a bit less then the other and it got me thinking if I might wear out the dove tail from too many adjustments. When I get the warranty replacement it will be the third set of sights on the gun not including stock ones. 1st was stock, second was blank rear, third was 2 dot tritium and now the 4th will be the 2 dot warranty replacement. Finish is untouched looking so I assume its fine but I was just kinda curious.

Thanks in advance

2. Paintshirtred

Paintshirtred

It's fine. Little 231 and get horizontal by shooting before it dries.

3. Bunnies4r5

Bunnies4r5

Ok cool, thanks for the reply, quick question, what is 231? lol

4. Paintshirtred

Paintshirtred

Bro, blue Loctite. Generally breaks loose much easier than re 271.

5. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

6. Bunnies4r5

Bunnies4r5

Lol I have blue loctite but its 242 not 231 so my bad:okie:

7. Paintshirtred

Paintshirtred

Been years, may have forgotten. Old farts syndrome, lol

Bunnies4r5 likes this.
  8. mongo356

mongo356

The slide should be much harder than the sight. USUALLY (not all)- the rear sight "squeezes" into the Slide dovetail. Same sight and same slide dovetail would take a bunch of adjustments to loosen anything beyond service. Even then the sight would be the part that will take the wear not the slide, Glock slides are harder than woodpecker lips.

I have only experienced one brand of sights that were not able to be pressed in. NOVAK adjustable sights. They have warnings all over their website and literature about "Fitting" the rear sight. I went school of hard knox and busted a MGW sight tool and the rear frame rails of a GLock slide.......the sight came through w/o a mark.

If you press the sights in and out of DIFFERENT slides a couple of times you can wind up with a not so tight rear sight , but it would likely take a pretty severe jolt to move anything. Mostly due to tolerance differences

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    -JCN- likes this.
  9. Bunnies4r5

Bunnies4r5

Perfect this is exactly the info I was looking for, thank you

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

If you have a steel slide... The answer is NO. You will NOT wear out the steel properly replacing sights..

CM
    :horse:

11. 1bigK

1bigK

As a rule, no you will not wear out the dovetail notch on a pistol upper. However we all know that there are some gorillas who will figure out how to damage their dovetail notch (nothing is idiot proof). A drop of Loctite blue should correct that if you were that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Agreed...and you can loosen the dove tail with enough re-installs, but it would prolly take a lot of them. Pushing in a new sight does no 'filing' to the dove tail. There's always a way to make the sight tight, though. The rear sight on my Tracker .44 mag came completely apart. It's now a non adjustable, 25yd zero rear sight thanks to the epoxy method. Bump $70 to send it to Taurus to replace the rear sight.