Dovetail mount for red dot on Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by doktarZues, Oct 29, 2019.

1. doktarZues

doktarZues

Wife and I both turned 40 this year. (You know, around that time when your eyes start to go crazy?) Wife is suddenly struggling with sight picture, shooting 6-12" high at 5/10 yards respectively. (She's no Jane Rambo, but an accomplished shooter with no previous issues.)

[​IMG]

While she sorts through that with her glasses and contacts I wanted to pick up a red dot to see if either of us like it. (Should definitely help with the sight picture.) I don't have a red-dot-ready system on anything so I was going to try something like this:
    [​IMG]

I would be happy to pick up an MOS or send a couple of slides off for milling if it's something either of us want to get into but wanted to start cheap. What is the opinion of the GT horde on these dovetail mounting plates? Good, bad ugly? Are some better than others?

2. JGIORD

JGIORD

Some of them are crap. I have had success with the one sold on the Glock store. It has a brass dovetail fitting that seems to hold in place well. I have it on my G48 and works well.

You need to remember mounting on a dovetail makes the red dot sit a bit higher which will require you to down angle your grip in order to pick up the dot quickly. Its doable but takes some practice.

MOS system is great and works very well and allows for multiple dots.

I had something similar to the one you have pictures and it sucked. The wedge was milled too narrow so it didn't stay well.

There is also a contraption sold by Gabe Suarez at Suarez international. It ties in with the back plate. It's pretty stable and allows for co-witnessing but again, the dot does sit higher up.

Once you got dot you won't go back. It you already acknowledge that you guys are having vision issues, then I would suggest picking up a MOS. G19 Gen 5 MOS has the best Glock trigger I've ever had. Its a great package.

I really like the Trijicon RMR.

Here is a picture of my G48 with the Glock Store dovetail mount. This one works well

[​IMG]

Here is a Gen 5 MOS

[​IMG]

With all that being said, milling the slide makes for the best fit and lowest sitting of the dot. But it is expensive.

AdamRodgers and doktarZues like this.

3. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

Dovetail mounts are too much trouble for what they're worth ATEI can mill your slide for $80. Much better route to go and much less headache.

4. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I tried a dovetail, it mounted MUCH higher to me. The nice thing about picking up an MOS model is that you won't lose much if it turns out you don't like the system. I'd encourage staying with the best optics you can afford. The Trijicon RMR02 has proven to be my favorite.

TacticalDesire likes this.
  5. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I have the Outer Impact mount and love it. Absolutely no problems after three years. And I can put the gun back stock should I choose. And I see the height difference as no cause for concern. It'd probably 3/16" difference.

6. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

I would get it milled for a RMR and be done with it.

Buying a dovetail mount and then later getting it milled will be the most expensive route.

Go with the Holosun line of dots to get a quality optic for a reasonable price.

You can always put a blank plate on the slide if you don't like the dot, although I'm not sure what's not to like. My last few millings all ranged from $ 100 - 125.00. I paint the milled area myself - as opposed to getting the whole slide coated.

7. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

my opinion?

save the money on the dovetail mount. you WILL love it if you take some time to train with it. in fact, you wont want to use irons again.

So get that MOS or mill your slide at JagerWerks and be done with it.

BTW, I recently milled a slide with JagerWerks for a trijicon SRO. Amazing optic, huge window, top battery removal. I like it a lot better than the RMR.

8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

it's a little more expensive. in general, the Gen5 MOS version sells for around $80 more than the Gen5. The optics cut at Jagerwerks is around $175 with the black nitride finish. So, we're talking less than $100 more to have the slide milled.

9. 07stuntin6r

07stuntin6r

Look up deuck defense. They got a pretty solid looking mount that I would choose...cost of a mount would be the cost to get one milled tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

I'm 42 and my eyesight is all jacked up also..

I made the mistake of getting a slide cut, now I want ALL my pistol cut for a Optic.

I know alot of folks have issues with Gabriel Suarez, I dont give a damn, that dude was shooting Self Defense Pistols with Dots on them before it became the new hotness. I got Suarez International to cut mine and I will be sending more slides to them to get a Optic Cut..

cowboy likes this.
  11. Gfive45

Gfive45

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  12. RJHUB

RJHUB

I did the same thing. Wanted to try one out on g19.3 I already had. So I bought one of the
    dovetail mounts and mounted a Vortex venom. I loved it and it did sit high.
    I now have a g19.5mos with an rmr06 and a g34.5mos with a dpp.
    I agree with most. Go ahead and do it right. Get a mos or mill your slide. You will love it.
    Especially if your vision is age challenged.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  13. DrewBone

DrewBone

Glock pistols are polluting this General Firearms Forum, I protest!!

(LOL)

Gfive45 likes this.
  14. billy b

billy b

I've owned several glocks with the dovetail mount. including a 19. never had an issue with it coming loose. shot just as well as my guns with milled RMR mounts. just make sure to use a good thread locker.

MNBud likes this.