Dove Season Opener

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Glock Commander, Aug 12, 2018.

Are you hunting doves this year?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2018.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

2. schogfan56

schogfan56

3. birda40

birda40 Woody

Used to enjoy quail , grouse after the turkeys took over all the birds just disappeared. Sucks big time.

4. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

If I find a place to hunt, I'll give it a whirl. 9/1 here as well.

5. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

Roll dove breast in flour. Fry on three sides low heat and not too long, don't cook 'em to death. Remove doves. Empty oil from flying pan till there is about 1/4 cup left. Turn up heat and add three heaping tablespoons of flour. Stir till flour has browned a smidge. Ad milk, about 4 cups. Let it just start to bubble. Now toss doves into oven proof bowl, pour gravy over doves till they are covered. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Best eating of any wild fish or game.

6. Dave514

Dave514

2018-08-12 22.04.25.jpg 9/1 here too.

MO Skinned an 870 this spring I'm going to use.

Killed out 4 times last year and hope to go that many again this year. Bought shells today.

I don't miss very often...but when I do...I miss 3 times. ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Glock Commander likes this.
  7. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I notice in CA that while the black bear, mountain lion and coyote populations are at record numbers the deer population are at all time lows. Wildlife Management cannot do their job because of political interference. JMHO

8. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Yep i am hunting “ Dubs “.

9. redrick

redrick

I have a friend with MS and he is a member of a disabled hunting group along with my hunting club . I went deer hunting with him and that group once last year and many times at our club . They really treat everyone like royalty . It was a large group of hunters probably over 60 people and they feed us breakfast and lunch . The hunt is for the disabled hunters and they want a non handicapped person to set with the hunter and not kill a deer . I can tell you this , none of the hunters that were there thought of themselves as handicapped . They had a bus load from the Veterans hospital there , black & white . I think their sprit did more good for me than I did for them .

Last week my friend invited me on a dove hunt with the group on the 7th and I am looking forward to going . I don't know if I will be allowed to shoot doves or not , but I know I will feel better about life when the day is over .

10. Dave514

Dave514

11. redrick

redrick

I went and bought 3 boxes of shells today . My friend went last week and he said he shot almost 2 boxes , but only got 9 birds . I think he said they shot 90 birds total . He cooked them on the grill Labor Day , after marinating in Italian dress and wrapping them in bacon and cooking them on the grill like Dave . He said they were delicious . I can't wait .

12. holidaypf

holidaypf

I tried hollowing out a jalapeno this year, filling it with dove breast fileted off the bone, wrapping the whole shabang in bacon and brushing with maple syrup while grilling. It cooked the dove nicely.

13. holidaypf

holidaypf

I tried hollowing out a jalapeno this year, filling it with dove breast fileted off the bone, wrapping the whole shabang in bacon and brushing with maple syrup while grilling. It cooked the dove nicely.

14. RONKO73

RONKO73

Opening day was September 1st here in West Texas. Over the weekend I brought home 64 doves all together. Lots of doves around, should be a good season.