close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dove Recipes

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by USMCsilver, Aug 29, 2003.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

We have the thread about hunting, now about eating...

Here's mine:
    The day before the dove are to be eaten, submerge them in buttermilk and let them sit in the fridge.

2 hrs. before cooking, remove them from buttermilk and wrap with bacon and secure with toothpick.

Douse generously with 50% teryaki and 50% Italian dressing. Marinade covered at room temp. for 2 hrs.

Remove them from marinade and sprinkle lightly with seasoned salt.

Toss 'em on the grill and enjoy a scrumptous treat!

2. noway

noway

Same here but mine are even simpler prepared, "dove-Kabobs(sp?)"

the dove breast are wrapped with proscuito ham awith garlic and onions and maybe a hot pepper, then the whole items i wrapped with a good hickory smoke bacon strip and pinned with a toothpick. Bake at 350deg for about 30-45 should do the trick.

Serve with you're favorite rice and a cold dark beer or Weissbeer sound about good ;c

btw:terriyaki is a little to bit strong for me. I also been playing around with sesame seed oil as a lite marinade

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Me too; that's why it's cut with 50% Italian...;c

4. aus_chip

aus_chip

I dip the breast in buttermilk, stick a couple pieces of onion and a 1/3 of a jalapenos in the breast, then wrap with bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. I get 15 -20 of them done like that, then start a good hot fire. Place the dove breasts on the smoker side, but close enough where you can get some heat. Add mesquite chunks to the fire (preferably soaked in water). I like to keep the temperature in the smoker around 210 or so. Cook till done.

5. Guest

yum yum,,,,,these great recipes can be used on cottontails too!....More meat on the bone.

6. tjpet

tjpet

Rollem' in wheat flour, saute with onions and green peppers in olive oil. Add a package of brown gravy mix, one cup of water, cook until mixture is thick. Spoon over mashed potatoes or rice. Serve with a green salad and a glass of red table wine. Enjoy.

7. noway

noway

{these great recipes can be used on cottontails too!....More meat on the bone.
    }

Yeah true, but I find that plain old rabbit cooks just like good ole chicken a much better meat and I would rather eat rabbit the other other white meat vrs a puny dove breat any day of the week.
    ;)

8. LawRand

LawRand NRA Life Member Millennium Member

I do something similar. But a question...why the buttermilk? What does it do to the meat?

9. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

Curious on the buttermilk also, I used it on shark before to neutralize ammonia like smell. Something I found that works well w/ any gamebird is aging a couple of days in the fridge after cleaning. Take a tough old goose and freeze some immediatly, leave some to age. The aged meat is noticably more tender.
    LF

10. noway

noway

I used milk and buttermilk on strong fishes (snapper/talipia/haddock/pompano/etc...) also, but never had the need for it on Dove. The dove gamebirds that I shoot, don't have a strong taste.