close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DoubleTap & the Glock 20

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Police Marksman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

Is Double Tap ammo tough on the Glock 20? I was shooting some 165 gold dot Double Tap the other day, and the empties were ejected with such force they were bouncing off the top of the 10ft. ceiling of the indoor range. Seems like the Glock was taking quite a beating. Also what is your opinion of the 165 gold dot as a self defense round?

2. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Lifetime Member Millennium Member

:animlol: :animlol: :animlol:

Sorry, but that's a GREAT story!

As far as the DT ammo goes:

1. It is perfectly safe, and is loaded within SAMMI specs

2. HOWEVER, if you were going to be shooting a steady diet of Mike's ammo in your G-20, you should get a heavier recoil spring set-up. I like ISMI springs, but Wolff, or others (Brownell's is a great place to look) will work too.

So, to re-cap:
    1. Shooting a magazine or two annually - no need to change anything.
    2. Shooting DT ammo daily - get a heavy recoil spring set-up (22-24 lbs).
    3. If you want to save the brass, get a really, really big tarp! :rofl:

3. Vulcanese

Vulcanese Furious Retard

This is great advice! I suggest a 15X20!

4. klmmicro

klmmicro

Hehehe, I love my G20 and full house loads. Even with a 22# spring I sill find my brass 2 lanes away. It can be a real pain if a lot of people are shooting .40 SW around you as the 10mm cases blend right in.

I went with a Wolff spring as it is the first one I came across when searching. Like MMA10MM mentioned, there are several brands and suppliers. All should work well.

5. BayouSlide

BayouSlide

Ditto on the Wolff 22# springs plus a steel guide rod...that's what Mike at DT recommends and it works well for me.

FYI: Mike also recommends changing out to a Wolff extra power striker spring if your stock striker spring has 4K or so worth of rounds downrange. The rationale is that a stronger than stock recoil spring could result in function problems when coupled with a weakened striker spring. Should be OK if you keep a fresh Glock striker spring in the gun, but since Mike sells both Wolff springs as a matched set, makes it pretty simple if you just add 'em to an ammo order.

Even a casual visible inspection will confirm that steady diet of DT loads batters the stock guide rod pretty bad.

6. GooberPP

GooberPP

My G20 with a Wolfe 22# spring and steel guide eject the brass a very reasonable 8-10' It doesn't group the brass as nicely as the old S&W 439 that I used to have...but that gun couldn't group the bullets as close together as it did brass.
    Note: Since the stock recoil spring is attached to the guide rod, you have to also buy an open-ended guide rod for a replacement spring. I may have seen a captive spring/guide rod set for sale somewhere but the Wolfe springs are not captive.
    I've also shot some standard 180 gr. loads that I think run under 1200 fps w/ mine that functioned fine. So, I'm leaving the 22# spring in it.

7. Jim in MI

Jim in MI

I actually called Mike and asked what # spring to get, and then 10 seconds later was on his website ordering it, and the steel guide rod.

I have a 40 S&W barrel and the heavier spring cycles the .40 as well, so I just leave it in.

8. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

A little warning about the striker spring that comes with the recoil spring (Wolf). I got one and put it in and started having light primer strikes until I went back to the orignal. Comparing the two the Wolf looked shorted than the Glock one.

corey

9. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

Ok guys I got a ISMI flat wire 22lb spring, and a Arotek stainless steel captured guide rod from Brownells. I will have to see how this system works. I had tried a Wolf 22lb earlier and had some jams. Thanks

10. cookand

cookand War Eagle!!

I use a Wolff 21 lb spring in my G20 and don't have any problems with Double Tap and "Canned Heat". Its what Mike at DT recommended when I emailed him. So, if this next setup gives you problems maybe try this one.

11. Jimmy P

Jimmy P

To read these posts it makes me think that the G20 comes from the factory set up to shoot S&W .40 load velocities? I am glad I stumbled upon this thread as I am just now getting a 10mm and will reload for myself to as hot as possible with the gun. So...Wolf 22 pound and steel guide rod or captured ISMI 22 pound or Aerotech????

12. MakeMineA10mm

Jimmy,
    A factory set-up Glock 20 will handle "normal" (hot) 10mm loads all day long. I've shot many a Winchester Silvertip and hot handloads through mine.

The issue is, just as the 40S&W models have high slide velocity causing the little dents on the underside of the slide, shooting a regular diet of full-horse 10mms can do the same thing to the 20. You're not very likely to break it shooting a steady diet of hot loads, but you are likely to cause some high levels of wear and tear. In the Glock Advanced Armorer's Course, one is taught to file down these rough spots, if they cause problems. Something a file takes right care of...

Now, if you want to avoid that from the get-go, you can put in the heavier spring.

13. Crazy Ed

Crazy Ed Senior Member

LMBO!! No it's not hard on the Glock at all. I remember when I shot my first box of DT. They were ejecting at LEAST 20' over the front of my truck and we were shooting at least 10' behind it. A 22# spring and ss guide rod lowered that quite a bit. I remember finding a case stuck in my windshield wiper groove the next day. My wife was like "Holy Cow! You can shoot in two directions at once!"

Your G20 will be fine.

Ed :banana:

14. C.Smith

Yes, rest assured that the G20 in stock form is a great and well set up gun. You will not damage it.

Corey

15. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

I shot my glock 20 today with the 22lb ISMI flat spring, and Arotek stainless stell captured guid rod from Brownells. I shot 150 rounds of Double tap 165 Gold Dot, Remington UMC, and gold dot reloads. The 10 mm still barks but now I can find most of my fired cases. Also there were no jams, I was having problems with the Wolf 22lb spring and steel guide rod that was not captured.

16. C.Smith

Police Marksman,

What kind of problems where you having with the wolf spring setup?

Corey

17. MakeMineA10mm

Excellent! :dancingbanana:

18. Police Marksman

Police Marksman

With the wolf spring set up I was having a Jam about evey fourth round with Gold Dot bullets. The bullet nose would catch on the side of the barrel when going into the chamber, causing a jam. I like the set up I am using now a whole lot better.

19. DavidinSA

DavidinSA

I had the same problem with the "round" recoil springs also.
    Took me awhile to diagnose the problem.
    Captured flat springs are generally better quality and don't have the binding issues that the "round" springs have.
    I know people have been using the Wolff "round" springs with success, but the ISMI captured flat springs solved the problem.

my 2 cents
    david

20. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

"... the ISMI captured flat springs solved the problem."

Agreed. I've had no problems with the ISMI set-up in my G20.

OTOH, in my G29, I went with the Wolff 21lb recoil unit which MCNETT recommended and uses in his G29. So far mine's run 100% with all energy levels of 10mm ammo fired through it.

The recoil set-up is one of those things you have to experiment with to see what works in your gun.