Double Team on North Mountain

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by TScottW99, Apr 30, 2003.

1. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

4:32 a.m. on 04/24/03 I stopped by and picked up Dale for our first hunt together this season. We were parked by 5:10 and started up the mountain to our listening post. I knew things sure had changed since yesterday when a bird let a gobble off a couple minutes past 6:00. The bird was a ridge west of us and a long ways up the mountain. Dale and I decided to sit and listen to see if any birds would gobble from the ridge we were on. The bird to the west must have woke up on the right side of the limb because he was gobbling and double gobbling which was a great thing for us because he woke up a gobbler on the ridge we were on. Dale and I started up toward the bird on our ridge and enjoyed the two birds gobbling back and forth when a third joined in. We started across a narrow saddle to climb the last little bit before we would set up when a tom caught us by surprise and gobbled from 100 yards to our east. Dale and I both stopped, looked at each other, and started to back step. We had a brief discussion on how we were going to set up. Dale being the great friend that he is stated that since I didn't take a bird last year I was going to shoot. I sat down in a little laurel pile with the hopes of the bird coming straight in which would make for a real close up 15 yard shot. Dale moved behind me and started to call on his "Black Magic". The first thing I heard was the heart stopping sound of a turkey drumming. Only problem was it sounded like it was coming from above me where the orignial gobbler was instead of in front of me. I started to move while Dale called and I heard the drumming again. As my heart raced and Dale called, I could hear the bird over the lip of the saddle move every now and then. I picked up "Ol' Yeller" and joined Dale by throwing in a couple of purrs. The bird seemed to enjoy it and started to move. I laid the call down and then tried to drop the striker beside it... B-O-I-N-K!!!!!! ( i really hate when i do that! ) The bird came up in a spot I really was wishing he hadn't. He stopped at 25 yards in full strut, my only problem was all I could see was body and fan, no head. There was a tree about 2" - 3" in diameter that was totally blocking the birds head. I decided to move the gun to the right and give a slight lean. P-U-T-T! Oh no!! I could now see about half of the tom's head and he sure could see my barrel and proably half of my head. This is when I realized that in my hurry I had forgotten to throw the mouth call in. As every thought in the world was going through my head, Dale let out a cluck (God Bless him) and the bird gobbled moved to my right a couple of steps and my Fire Sights found thier mark. B-O-O-M!!! I see the bird go down, put my safety on, try to put a new shell in the chamber and jam the gun. Dale is up and asking if there is a bird on the ground, with a smile from ear to ear, and I'm still fighting the jam. I fix it and Dale and I go up to find a beautiful tom. The beard was 9 1/4" long with the last inch being red. The spurs (my longest) were 1 1/8" & 1" and he weighed in at 17.3 pounds. I would like to thank Dale again for being so generous and some great calling!!!!!

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Well today was the first hunting day of my vacation. Figures rain and wind. Pulled up to the spot I planned to hunt at 5:20 and got all my gear ready, with the exception of my flashlight, batteries were dead. Worked my way towards the area I spent all morning on Friday chasing a longbeard. I debated with myself for several minutes on where to set up for this gobbler. The ridge on which he roosted or the small game field at the end of the ridge. I figured with the rain and wind the game field might actually pay off. All was quite until 6:10 when a gobbler sounded off once, around 400 yards away and about 380 yards into private property. (my positon was about 20 yards from the national forest/private property boundary, my back was to the boundary) At 6:33 another gobbler gobbled at my calling though from my left rear this time, but also on private property. I contiued to call every now and then and figured at least I was staying semi-dry under the dogwoods and buck pine I was planted under. At 6:50 I see movement to my left and glance over to see a white head coming at me. He hit the edge of the field at 30 yards away looking right at me. He blew up into strut but refused to look at my decoy, instead he just started right at me strutting. I finally found a chance to set the call down and the striker (one on each side of me so that a "BOINK" would not spook the longbeard LOL ) and the gobbler seemed to sense me in an awkward postion and turned back my way. After several minutes he finally walked past a tree ( a very small tree) and I went for it, was able to get my gun up and my safety off. The gobbler broke strut and looked right at me as the Fire sights found their mark. At 6:57 he hit the ground. As I got up to check my bird the sky opened up and it started to poor, but I didn't mind a bit. Didn't really notice the rain all the way back to the truck.

17.5 pounds, 9.5 beard & .875 spurs.

The gobbler I chased on Friday never sounded off this a.m., 11 more hunting days left

3. G Man .40

G Man .40 13 .40 + 1=G23

Damn I missed the hunt!