close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Double Tap 200gr FMJ in a Glock?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Quigley, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

I posted this before in a thread but never really got any answers so I figured I would try it again here. Does anybody know if this ammo is safe to shoot in a Glock. I had some people saying that it might be loaded to too high of pressures, but does anybody actually know. It is obvious that they test it in Glocks but that does not necessarily mean anything.

I am just looking for good woods round to carry in my Glock 40cals and this seems to be the ticket but the last thing I want is for the gun to blow up in my hands.

Thank you,
    Quigley

2. Cineski

Cineski

It's perfectly fine. A better woods round is DoubleTap 200 grain Controlled Expansion, but the FMJ will do fine, too.

3. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Works fine and is not a problem. The only time I would consider changing barrels is if you plan on shooting HOT lead loads, like DT 200-230gr hardcasts. DT also makes hardcasts in .40. at 200gr loads.

DH

4. Jim S.

Jim S.

Glocks are designed to handle the +P pressures of modern ammunition.
    Are you going with a FMJ for the penetration aspects?

5. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Thank you for the response. I was not going with the Lead rounds because I was under the impression that lead + Glock = no no. I just figured FMJ was the next best thing.

6. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Mike the owner of DT is a member here.
    He knows what he is doing.
    I use his stuff.
    :supergrin:

7. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Thanks G33. I will definitely be ordering this stuff.

8. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Not a problem to use, but be aware that it is reported with regular consistency that Double taps ammo does not meet published claims of speed out of members guns.

ALSO: I placed an order over the phone with them for 200g "controlled expansion" loads, thinking I would be getting a load with a 200g xtp bullet in it. In fact, it had a Montana gold bullet (a cheaper bullet) as a replacement - WITHOUT NOTICE TO ME, THE CUSTOMER.

That's poor customer service, so I will not be recommending them further.

I have been told by others that not only are they Montana gold bullets instead of Hornady XTP bullets (which of course I can confirm), but that the 200grain bullet was replaced by a 180grain bullet to boot - however I have not yet pulled a bullet to confirm this. Maybe I will do this today. If I pull these and find out it is a 180g bullet, I am going to be very blatant about my dissatisfaction.

9. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

I have tested the DT 200 grain FMJ in my Glock 22. They run great. No problems what so ever. They would be a good choice for penetration. They are running about the same as the CCI Blazer 200 grain TMJ 10mm load. I like the FMJ for the woods. You may also want to try their 200 grain hard cast load. I have tried these as well and they are another good option. One of my buddies prefers the hard cast in his Glock and I prefer the FMJ. Another FMJ load that is loaded pretty hot is the Speer 180 grain Lawman TMJ. They all run fine in my Glocks.

10. cousin15

cousin15

The lead rounds are OK as long as you use the proper cleaner to remove the lead after each shooting... assuming you are not shooting hundreds and hundreds of rounds of lead bullets at once of course.

The 135gr DT loaded noslers are quite the spectacle at the range...

Im talking 10mm here though...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010