close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Double Tap 125 gr. .357 mag out of SP101

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Glock21sf-miami, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Fellow shooters,

Over the weekend I decided to take my SP101 for a spin and shot some .38 spcl reloads and .357 remingtom JSP for practice. I also shot 10 rounds of my carry load, Double Tap .357 mag 125 gr. Bonded Defense.

Those are certainly a handfull to shoot, stalls next to me stopped shooting to see what kind of cannon I was firing. They were very surprised to see the little 2.25" SP roaring.

However, I got a bit concerned because the primers were completely flat when the spent cases were ejected out of the cilinder.

Any others with experience with these loads in this gun? I understand it is built like a tank but I don't want to over-stress the gun.

2. fredj338

fredj338

The DT stuff is certainly full power & using full power ammo will beat the gun up sooner than later. The Rugers are trough, but it's still a piece of machinery. Run it full throttle all the time & it will let you down eventually. I run midrange handloads; 158gr @ 1000fps, in mine. A bit more than the 158gr+P 38sp, or a bit less than the 145grWSTHP I carry.

3. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Thanks for your input Fred. I have fired around 500 rounds through the gun, probably about 50 DTs, the rest are either .38 spcl, regular .357 mag Remington JSPs or .357 mag Fiocchi Truncated cone.
    I just started reloading .38 and will start loading up some .357 as well to practice with.

I am amazed at how accurate this little gun is once you get the hang of sighting and trigger management (I have been a semi auto guy until now).... I'll leave the DTs for occassional practice.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. Big Sam

Big Sam

I have a box of the 125gr 357 Double Taps. They do 1,290 fps out of my 2 1/4" SP-101 and 1,400 fps out of my GP-100. Recoil out of the GP is a total non issue. My SP has the larger Hogue grips and it was still like pounding my hand with a hammer. I have no doubt the gun will take the pounding because my hand will give up LONG before an SP can be hurt (though I never heard of anybody hurting one with factory type loads). If I can't control a load it will not be my carry load.

Like Fred, I went to a mid range load. In this case the Buffalo Bore 38 +P with 158gr soft lead bullet (it's gas checked though). It does just under 1,000 fps out of my SP and is optimum for my purposes.

The flat primers concern me. Unless Double Tap is using real soft primers, you should not be having that problem.

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

two words, MagNa-Port.

i had this done on my 640-1 and now its like im just shooting +p .38spl when in fact im firing full power remington 125gr SJHPs.

MagNa-Port does a great job and when money allows i will send them my sp101 to have it ported and a big dot front night sight installed as well as send back my 640-1 to have a front night sight installed.

6. G26Okie

G26Okie

It sure is a beast. When i would fire 125gr gold dots out of my sp101, it would blow the paper target back, along with blowing dust off the floor of the range within 5-10 feet in front of me. Everyone would also look over to see what beast I was shooting lol.

7. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

That is why I need to practice with the DTs. I have also thought about changing my SD load to something that would enable easier follow up shots. However, the DT loads are very stout but also very accurate.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. N/Apower

N/Apower

Well...some of it is, lol. It seems double-tap can't just work as advertised. It either has to be 200fps slow, or flatten primers.

My advice?

Run some more reasonable-costing, reliably performing ammo and ditch the DT.

9. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

I only shot a few through my carry Sp before switching to the lighter LCR.

The 158 DTs were very powerful.

[​IMG]

I bought them for animal defense when fishing.

[​IMG]

I'll be carrying this combo now.

[​IMG]

10. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

In the SP 101 I at times carry the DT 158 grain 357 Magnum loaded with the Gold Dot bullet. However I would more than likely carry the DT in my heavier 6 inch Python and carry the Federal 125 grain JHP in the SP 101. The Federal load is plenty hot enough for me but not as hot as the DT. Another load that I like in the SP 101 is the Remington 125 grain Golden Saber 357 Magnum. This load has a good track record and is not loaded as hot as the Federal load. Shot placement and bullet performance would be more important to me than the extra power of the DT load in a snub 357 in a SD load for the street. Now for the woods give me a 180 grain hard cast even in the SP. Extra recoil or not I want the penetration when in the woods. The Hogue Monogrips really help to tame the recoil. Helps me with shot placement with the hotter loads. My advice would be to try several other factory 125 grain 357 Magnum loads and carry the one that shoots best for you.

11. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

I tested the DT 158 grain +P Keith 38 Special load in a Colt Detective Special and found them to be very similar to the 158 FBI load in recoil. Of course the hard cast bullet will not expand. Not a bad pick for the field. I would make sure that they do not have bullet pull in an ultra light weight snub. No problem what so ever in the all steel Colt.

12. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Dude don't worry about it you'll never hurt that SP101! I've shot plenty of full tilt 180gr loads through mine and it still tight as the day I bought it! Now if your shooting them through a S&W anything then I'd worry!:rofl:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010