GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
63,391 Posts
I'm in the wrong thread.

I thought we were going to talk about these:

Exactly what I thought. I was going to point out that they are rare because nobody wanted them when they were in production.

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
There's a big variation in the pappy line. They have a 12, 15, 20, and 23. I'd be happy with any of them. I've always heard that the Weller line is closely related. I remember when pappy was readily available, before the bourbon boom hit.
Balvenie makes a damn fine scotch! :)
If you can get your hands on a bottle of Weller 12, you've pretty much got Pappy.
I got a taste and confirmed that it's good that I'm not a big fan of BTs wheated mash bill.
pp1.jpg

Reactions: Sparky C

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
Never had the 12, but I've drank an ocean of antique 107. :)
My friend with the Pappy 23 is a Weller nut so I've gotten to try their offerings and I like the Full Proof the best of the bunch but the 107, Special Reserve and 12 year all kinda fall into the same category for me. He tries to get me to like the Wheated stuff and I try to convince him the higher Rye stuff is better. But I'm not one to pass up a free drink so...

I still think the best kept secret is Ancient Age. You're getting a bottle of Blanton's that is aged 3 years instead of 8(best guess as they don't really say how long Blanton's is aged). It's the same mash bill that Buffalo Trace make Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's and Hanckock's Reserve from. You can tell a little difference as the AA has a little more ethanol sniff to it if you have them all side by side but it's dirt cheap.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My friend with the Pappy 23 is a Weller nut so I've gotten to try their offerings and I like the Full Proof the best of the bunch but the 107, Special Reserve and 12 year all kinda fall into the same category for me. He tries to get me to like the Wheated stuff and I try to convince him the higher Rye stuff is better. But I'm not one to pass up a free drink so...

I still think the best kept secret is Ancient Age. You're getting a bottle of Blanton's that is aged 3 years instead of 8(best guess as they don't really say how long Blanton's is aged). It's the same mash bill that Buffalo Trace make Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's and Hanckock's Reserve from. You can tell a little difference as the AA has a little more ethanol sniff to it if you have them all side by side but it's dirt cheap.
Glad to see Rock Hill at least mentioned. That is probably my favorite bourbon. Unfortunately, its not sold in my state and the last few times I was in KY/WV it was always sold out and/or about 3x the price from when I first discovered it.

I’m like the OP - I also would like to win this OH bourbon lotto.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
Glad to see Rock Hill at least mentioned. That is probably my favorite bourbon. Unfortunately, its not sold in my state and the last few times I was in KY/WV it was always sold out and/or about 3x the price from when I first discovered it.

I’m like the OP - I also would like to win this OH bourbon lotto.
The last bottle of Rock Hill I saw sold from $235 on Craigslist and it was gone the day it was listed. I don't get the inside track on alloted bourbons like my friend does but I think he paid $60 for it and turned that profit by the afternoon. Crazy.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If I was going to spend $2,000 on whiskey it sure as hell wouldn't be bourbon. $2K buys multiple bucket list bottles of Scotch and Irish. If I wanted to blow some money I'd much rather spend less than $500 each for Redbreast 27 year and Bruichladdich Dark Art.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
A pal of mine at work is a liquor connoisseur of sorts. He told me he paid $80 for a shot of Pappy Van Winkle because he wanted to try it. He said it was hard to tell if it was much better/smoother/whatever than Blanton's.
I was buying Pappy 15 when it was $75 per bottle. Doing direct comparisons to other small batch and single barrel bourbons, it was far better than any of them, to me. Then the big thing hit and it became unobtanium.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Bourbon isn't expensive because it is good. It's expensive because it is rare, and desireable. There are bottles available that are under a hundred bucks that are 90+% as good tasting. Also, some people, not me, have so much money that twenty grand is like pocket change to them
I have to imagine that owning the rare booze comes in a distant second to being able to tell people you paid 20k for it. I mean, I guess I understand that people collect all manner of rare things that are otherwise worth basically no more than their mass-produced counterparts (meaning they perform the same). I’ll never truly understand it, though. I buy guns to shoot, cars to drive, booze to drink. No offense to the collectors on this board, I get that it’s my own blind spot.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The last bottle of Rock Hill I saw sold from $235 on Craigslist and it was gone the day it was listed. I don't get the inside track on alloted bourbons like my friend does but I think he paid $60 for it and turned that profit by the afternoon. Crazy.
Yup - I used to buy as much as I wanted at $50-$60 a bottle when passing through KY. Two years ago, I found one bottle for $150 and it was the last one. Darn hipsters!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
criminal. cool bottle, but absurd.

I am actually about to hit the liquor store. I do like bourbon, rye more, but I am glad it is not my "love" so to say. that crap is expensive. I came up doing pulls out of the bottle of WT 101 and I am not above that to this day. $100 for a bottle for some of these has me wondering who can afford any of it.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
I'd just drink it.
That's the thing. I love good bourbons, and good single malt Scotch (particularly the Islay murk) even more. But if it's too dearly valuable to drink it, it's just a paperweight with a big price tag to me.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

Wheated bourbons are my favorite, makers mark cask strength is my favorite you can find anywhere, except since they finally dropped the price to $40 it can be hard at times. I went to Buffalo Trace back in February to their Weller dinner, got to try them all except the cypb or whatever the letters are, I liked 12 the best after the WLW. Finally traded for a bottle of the 12 but hadn’t opened it and ended up trading it and an ETL for this bad boy, have always wanted a bottle of it.

6109E1E2-CC39-41A0-9187-07E38403B5F0.jpeg

21 - 40 of 53 Posts