·
Mentally Frozen
24,720 Posts
Beautiful

Reactions: TBO and Sparky C

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
BTs Mash Bill #1 and Wheated Mash Bill are pretty far down on the list for me (Eagle Rare is a MB#1) but the bottle is super cool. I hope you win one.

BTs Mash Bill #2 and Rye Mash Bill selections, on the other hand, are way up on the list for me.

Reactions: TBO and Sparky C

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They also are offering OFC this week. It's $500 more than the eagle, so I'm pretending it's a bargain. :)
But as you have seen, the uncontrolled prices of these are way up there.
1160101.jpg

·
Mentally Frozen
24,720 Posts
Past the teeth over the gums look out stomach here it comes.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hard to see how hooch is worth that much.:cheers:
Bourbon isn't expensive because it is good. It's expensive because it is rare, and desireable. There are bottles available that are under a hundred bucks that are 90+% as good tasting. Also, some people, not me, have so much money that twenty grand is like pocket change to them

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,455 Posts
Found a place online with it in stock for roughly $19,000 per bottle. Makes me glad I don't drink

·
Registered
42,445 Posts
Found a place online with it in stock for roughly $19,000 per bottle. Makes me glad I don't drink
Here is the funny part. For $10 you can get that *same bourbon from the same company, out of the same warehouse, made with the exact same recipe (mash bill) but aged *3 years instead of 20.
benchmark_bourbon750__51670.1386194622.1280.1280.jpg

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here is the funny part. For $10 you can get that *same bourbon from the same company, out of the same warehouse, made with the exact same recipe (mash bill) but aged *3 years instead of 20.
View attachment 852236
Yes, but no. Still alot of variables. The location of the aging in the rickhouse plays a part. And careful selection. It's like a chevette and a Corvette. Same company. Same metal. Very different final product.
For $35, when you can find it, regular eagle rare ten year is a great bargain! And the benchmark is good for the money too.
To give you credit where due, if they only made three hundred bottles of benchmark, and put them in hand blown glass bottles in wood cases, and marketed it right, well the sky's the limit.

·
Use it up, throw it away
8,489 Posts
A pal of mine at work is a liquor connoisseur of sorts. He told me he paid $80 for a shot of Pappy Van Winkle because he wanted to try it. He said it was hard to tell if it was much better/smoother/whatever than Blanton's.

I have a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood, a couple of bottles of Palinka from my friend in Hungary and some Mezcal from the Del Maguey distillery.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A pal of mine at work is a liquor connoisseur of sorts. He told me he paid $80 for a shot of Pappy Van Winkle because he wanted to try it. He said it was hard to tell if it was much better/smoother/whatever than Blanton's.

I have a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood, a couple of bottles of Palinka from my friend in Hungary and some Mezcal from the Del Maguey distillery.
There's a big variation in the pappy line. They have a 12, 15, 20, and 23. I'd be happy with any of them. I've always heard that the Weller line is closely related. I remember when pappy was readily available, before the bourbon boom hit.
Balvenie makes a damn fine scotch! :)

·
Just lack finishing up
3,382 Posts
Damn the bourbon boom! Got me interested, got me hooked and then the good stuff disappeared!

Well, not all the good stuff. Lots of interesting and delicious bottles out there. Part of the fun is learning what you like and then finding the bourbons that scratch that particular itch. And when you can find one that does it for less $, so much the better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts