Don't walk/look like a victim

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gatorboy, Sep 21, 2019.

1. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

2. nursetim

nursetim

The Vietnamese call “walking unlucky” as the people walking around clueless and easy pickings for the villains.

3. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I'd like to see the video's. I think it might be interesting.
    I would also like to show it to my wife. She drives me nuts. I tell her she is a walking target. She says she's been like that all her life, but hasn't. We all do things different when we get older, but some paint a target on themselves.

gatorboy, Inyo Tim and GlockAndMan like this.
  4. VIS07

VIS07 Never, never, never give up.

I've always said, "if you look like lunch, your going to get eaten".

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

How about if I walk like an Egyptian? Is that low-hanging fruit?

BradD, techiej, Badazuwanme2b and 2 others like this.
  6. Dynactus

Dynactus

Interesting article. People that are unaware of this information simply haven't been paying attention.

gatorboy likes this.
  7. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep. If you look like food, something's going to try to eat you.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

9. Deltic

Deltic

Be wary of Hittites, they might hit you.

Darkangel1846 and VIS07 like this.
  10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

11. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

I think it was Paxton Quigley who either did a survey with criminals, or wrote of one. They showed convicts pictures of people walking into a mall, store, or something, and asked them to pick the victim. Big strong burly man got chosen. Petite woman not chosen. When they got down to the brass tacks, it was based on who was paying attention to their surroundings.

pizza_pablo and VIS07 like this.
  12. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Not if I O/C my longbow. I've got some wicked kydex for it, too.

VIS07 likes this.
  13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Not a whole lot of information there about the "judges".

How reliable are they, and how representative of the larger criminal attacking population?

14. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I don't see it. My own thoughts on victims chosen would be a skinny woman with expensive clothes and purse that is alone. Picking a big, buff dude with head on swivel over a skinny five foot tall, 110# woman in a skirt and heels? OK, if the criminals say so it must be true? They would lie about such a thing, cowards.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  15. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

Not knowing the answer; does it matter? Do you believe you could pick a person out of say ten people that a criminal would choose first? I believe I could and I think the thoughts and info put forth by the author hold water.

16. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

In town walk upright, swiftly with a purpose. Head on a swivel making eye contact.

On the road. Don’t shave. Drink way too much caffeine. Twitch. Make eye contact with a tilted head. Talk to yourself when buying gas or gas station food. Act like you’re ready to kill just for fun. Tilt head down and give a toothy smile to anyone who stares. No one will bother you.

17. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

Nobody asked for your thoughts on it. Your thoughts don't matter. Criminals didn't pick big buff dudes with their head on a swivel. They picked people who weren't paying attention to their surroundings. The surprising results of the research was that size of the victim didn't matter as much as rather they were paying attention.

Since you cannot comprehend what you read, I'll spell it out for you. Criminals want to be able to attack, get what they want, and get away without getting hurt. The element of surprise was key. That skinny woman with expensive clothes and purse that is alone can still hurt them, or call out for help, if she sees the attack coming.

But again, nobody really sought out your thoughts on the matter.

LostinTexas likes this.
  18. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

They said flat out THE biggest factor for both sexes was heavier than average body weight. My thoughts are what I gathered from the article which this thread is about.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  19. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

In other words, the cues one tends to avoid when seeking a victim is, powerlessness.

The results showed that walkers were rated as easier to attack when they wore skirts rather than leggings or trousers and easier to attack when barefoot or when wearing high heels rather than flat shoes.

The difficult to attack prototype suggests a person who is low on vulnerability and can escape faster from potential attack with longer strides and higher energy with the ability to defend themselves with higher body mass.

The second experiment was conducted the same as the first experiment, but observed male subjects instead. The results showed that male walking styles which indicated ease of attack were much like those found in women. In this case, however, the relative weight was a stronger predictor, likely due to the overall greater strength and ability to resist attack found in men.

20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Walk paying 95% of attention to smart phone. Don't be surprised if you get attacked. WaLk covering ground, paying basic attention to surroundings. (Other things being equal) it's unlikeLy you will be chosen.
    Now if you have $20 bills falling out of your pocket... Fancy five watch you are flashing....

I have been chosen. My own fault. TX Book depository, closing... Not paying attention. 3 gents tried to block me in. Lucky for me they didn't lead with a attack. They thought 3 vs 1 was enough.
    I got very mad ( at myself). I had quarters in watch pocket. Tossed them up, went thru two of them as they looked up, turned ready to dance. The two got up, and with third walked away. Yep I was stupid. But they didn't want to deal with this crazy guy who looked like he WANTED to fight all 3. I doubt it would have ended well.