close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

don't use hartz products

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by noway, Feb 23, 2005.

1. noway

noway

I think I posion my dog over the weekend. I applied the hartz advance care flea & tick medicine and my dog is acting strangley and has stop eatin. I called hartz hotline # 800/275-1414 and they couldn't tell me anything, but took my information down and asked what I used and what the dog is doing. I did some research and foound numerous complaints from dogs & cat owners and most are cat owners but per hartz hotline, a few dogs have had reactions.

How can hartz continue to sale this stuff on the market is beyond me? and why don't they post anything BEFORE hand on the package?

Me being cheap and buy this 3 months ( once amonth ) application and now this dog is did a 360deg turn from his normal behavior.

I'm giving him one more day and then off to the vet tomorrow. Hartz did mention about giving the vet the above number and having them pass any bills over to them. But this is a bunch of crap.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

Good luck with your dog. I'm sorry for his feeling ill.

We use Frontline for all our cats and dogs. No reactions. Available mail order, but we usually get it from our vet. Not cheap, but works good. Fleas and ticks.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh no! Keep us posted on your doggie ;w ;w ;w

4. jerryd

jerryd

@ years ago we bought the store version of front line burned the hell out of my dogs neck! About 5 mins after we put it on she started running around trying to get at her neck, picked her up and started looking at where we put the crap on her neck and it was all red, put her neck under water and rinsed it off. Kept watching her and she finally she was alright, talked to the vet said that stuff is crap! By the way my dog is a 14lb JR terrier, and it took 3 of us to hold her under the faucet, cant believe a small dog is so strong with soo many moves!;P ;P

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

What it actually Frontline or was it something else the store made up on their own?

6. jerryd

jerryd

I guess its a generic form thats cheaper than front line, will never make that mistake again!!! Its sold at wally world and stores like that, dont buy it, its garbage!!!;C

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

My rule of thumb is don't get anything for my dog that is sold in a grocery store.

8. noway

noway

btw: tyhe stuff i used was from petsmart and not a grocery store. Also the grocerty stores I goto have hartzproducts also.

good news is my dog ( pictured in avatar ) is doing much better. He did loose alot of pounds but for the most part "dumb black lab " is back to his old ways of being hard-headed, chewing and whining and always wanting to play ;)

9. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Glad poochie is doing better. Keep an eye on him! If you want to get him back up normal weight, you might at some boiled chicken thighs (no skin, no bones) and brown rice to his regular diet for a few days to a week.

What I meant about the groc store stuff is, its usually crap. just 'cause they ALSO sell it at Petsmart, doesn't mean its any good;) There's not one brand of food at Petsmart I'd feed my dog. I do buy a lot of other stuff there, though.

10. noway

noway

Done, we've been adding chicken eggs and chiken breast to his bowl like every other day.

Trust me this dog would eat a boiled car tire if he could ;f Some time I'm wondering if he regular 2 servings is enought food.

11. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

You ARE cooking the eggs, right?

12. supadupamikey

supadupamikey

speaking of eggs, the neighbor is always telling me to feed our 6month old dobie raw eggs to help improve her coat. personally, i wont give the dog anything i wont eat. well, except for her dog food. i wouldn't eat that. but, i'm working on finding a better food. she's eating science diet large breed puppy food now, any suggestions?

oh, and as far as the eggs, i make her scrambled eggs on the weekends when i cook for me and the woman, but, i dont give her raw eggs. that just sounds icky. the only thing raw she eats is a piece or two of my sushi and some medium-rare filet mignon - yummy!

so, just to confirm, raw eggs are bad, right?

13. chrismartin

chrismartin

Raw eggs would only be bad on the off chance it contained salmonella. How much cookie dough and cake batter have you eaten since you were a kid :) The chances of that are pretty slim, but there is a chance. You can use pasteurized eggs though. They are more expensive, but zero chance of bugs. Great for homemade mayo.