close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Don't take the law into your own hands.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Batesmotel, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Short version of the story...

A guy buys a house and 5+ acres of horse property. Finds the original blueprints and survey. Discovers the neighbor has built the fence about 5-6 feet on his side of the property.

Options:

#1 Go talk to the neighbor
    #2 File a legal action to have the fence moved
    #3 Rip it out yourself

You guessed it, he chose #3. Only to find out the original survey was not the most recent survey. The previous owner and the neighbor had put in the fence and moved the property line to avoid a right of way for an irrigation pipe.

New owner is SO screwed. the neighbor is refusing to allow any of the original fencing (bent) to be used. The back half is chain link but the front half is welded pipe in a post and rail configuration. The guy must hire a contractor and have equivalent fencing installed immediately. A lien has already been filed on the neighbors property by the court. Work must be completed by Sept 1.

Anyone want a house? I see this one on the market real soon. :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. devildog2067

devildog2067

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

What one hot head and a backhoe can do.:whistling:

One of the perks of being a realtor is hearing some real fun stories.

4. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Geez. That's one way to get to know the neighbor. :rofl:

5. ray9898

ray9898

I love when stupidity is punished.

6. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

Fire, ready, aim... Wow, how to make a good first impression, huh? What a maroon.

-Pat

7. Brucev

Brucev

Sooner or later a man given to temper will face the hard consequences. The prophet spoke to this sort of thing... "Stupid is as stupid does."

8. smokin762

smokin762

A coworker told me a couple of weeks ago, that his parents bought some property years ago and just haven’t done anything with it yet. He told me, they decided to go there to look at it again that past weekend.

He said there was a new barn built on the property. I asked him if it was his parents and he said, they never had a barn built.

I’m curious to see how that turns out. I told him I would sell the property with the new barn. :supergrin:

9. davsco

davsco

well clearly he shoulda discussed with the seller and the neighbor first.

but when he bought, a survey should have been done and the fence should have come up IF it was an issue. if the survey was done wrong, he may be able to make a claim against the surveyor and/or title insurance.

or it may not be his problem if the neighbor and seller did a side agreement and never recorded it.

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Surveyors aren't required to be called out just because a house sells. OP also stated there was a newer survey done, he just came across an older copy. Nothing u said is relevant.

11. silentpoet

silentpoet

Depends on how many years ago the barn was built.

12. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

<<---Title/Escrow

We see some good ones. :rofl:

13. dbcooper

dbcooper

After my stepfather passed a survey showed that a neighbors den he had recently added to his house was 7ft into what was now my property. When he asked what we were going to do I said I figured I'd lease it to him for 50 bucks a square foot or he could just tear it down. The look on his face was priceless, when I smiled and started to laugh he managed to not have a heart attack. I sold him the section of the property for a buck and a grilled porterhouse.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There are TONS Of strange laws, and many surveys are "off" I bought some land. It was off by @ 15' for @3000' the other side was off by also @ 15' for 3k feet... So it evened out. The checked the next piece/next/next to road and other side to swamp. Every line was off @ 15' But everyone has about the amount of land. so I let it go.

Another person put up a fence on anothers land (roughly 20') They didn't realize it for yrs. When they did the "claim jumper" said that because they had NOT taken action for 5-7? yrs (I forget exactly) he owned land.
    Same with field roads. I move the field road on my land every yr. Just a couple feet. Just to avoid that possiblity. (There is reason for neighbor to drive it to get to his field)

15. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

You are a gentleman. I would not have settled for less then $100 and a bottle of Single Barrel Jack.

16. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

In Utah if you close the road for at least 24 hours a year you avoid the possibility of a prescriptive easement. Many people do 72 hours over a weekend in the middle of winter as to not inconvenience anyone but still keep total control of their land.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Being stupid comes with a price.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Might be a problem. Google "adverse possession." In most states, you build a barn on somebody's land without permission and keep it there long enough, you become the owner of at least part of their land.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  19. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

You're a nicer man than I...

I'd have charged him full market plus an idiot fee.

Even for a friend I would have charged something close to market value, plus steaks and beer/liquor.

20. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

We had a neighbor once who built on the property line and violated the setback. The city refused to accept his property tax payments until he removed the addition. Sneaky and underhanded but effective. Could have been avoided by applying for a building permit.