Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
5,261 Posts
I wouldn't have given the place a second glance until a video popped up in my YouTube feed, something like "eating for a week from Dollar Tree on $10."

Now it's not exactly a Mormon cannery, you likely won't find a TON of things to put back for long term. But my local one had a surprisingly good selection. Rice, beans, lentils, spices, jelly, sauces, etc.

They even have cold foods. It's not a one stop prep food shop, but there are options there while also potentially stretching your money further in these times of shortages and high prices. Just do your homework, there are cases where you might be paying more there than you would be getting a bigger package elsewhere.

I'm intrigued to try the dollar box of instant oatmeal I got there. Apple cinnamon, they also had plain. And while some of their items are only able to be sold for $1 because of a small package size - this is a full 6, 43 gram, 160 calorie servings, just like the Quaker I had at home.
Yes, buy why?

Compare DT with WM prices and I think WM would win.

·
King Doofus.
6,071 Posts
They need to change the name tho..... no matter what it is I go in there for, I end up spending 20-30 dollars.

·
Bitter American
1,281 Posts
I drop into our Dollar Tree once in awhile. Great place for cheap, name brand razors, deodorant, matches and lighters. The different bags of trail mixes and nuts are well worth a buck. I usually stock up on them and mix them with the dollar bags of M&M's.

·
Registered
18,467 Posts
I wonder if all the Wal-Mart bashers/haters would shop at Dollar Tree instead?
I shop at both. I have no scrumples.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
6,480 Posts
There is a YouTuber named TheWolfPit or something like that, who does food reviews on a ton of Dollar Tree items. His videos are pretty interesting.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
i go there for Birthday cards and the like. if i get my wife an Anniversary or Birthday card that costs more than a buck she gets pissed, a dollar card is as good as any $8 card from Hallmark to her...

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I think they are a good barometer of neighborhood. If you live to close to one you probably should move. The area is getting a little shady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,339 Posts
I think they are a good barometer of neighborhood. If you live to close to one you probably should move. The area is getting a little shady.

You clearly don't know **** about real estate, and how retail is situated in relation to housing....

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yeah, the two closest Dollar Tree stores to me are night and day, one is pretty suspect, the other one is quite nice and in a nice part of town.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
You clearly don't know **** about real estate, and how retail is situated in relation to housing....
Gee take it a little personal?? Ok maybe that isn’t always the case it is a bad neighborhood. Around here and I guess I should specify dollar general, are built in the poorest areas. New ones have popped up a lot in the last couple years and are either in very poor urban areas or very poor rural areas. It’s a pretty impressive niche.

·
Banned
5,261 Posts
Educate him. That is why we are here; to teach and learn.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes, buy why?

Compare DT with WM prices and I think WM would win.
Certainly something to keep in mind.

My dollar apple cinnamon oatmeal was pretty good.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Dollar Trees are just for lower end communities ? I never thought that myself. We have DT's all over and in every town or city around here and they seem to mostly be located next to, or very nearby a Walmart. I don't go in much but dept stores have very little I need in general and if they do my wife picks up my stuff while I wait in the car. Toni is like a computer on store prices,,,I think she just goes in DT to inventory and gather data.

·
Banned
5,261 Posts
Certainly something to keep in mind.

My dollar apple cinnamon oatmeal was pretty good.
But what was the cost per ounce of the DT Vs WM?

·
Registered
15,339 Posts
Gee take it a little personal?? Ok maybe that isn’t always the case it is a bad neighborhood. Around here and I guess I should specify dollar general, are built in the poorest areas. New ones have popped up a lot in the last couple years and are either in very poor urban areas or very poor rural areas. It’s a pretty impressive niche.

Nice ad hominem attack, but no, just pointing out your ignorance.....

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
My son runs an internet business based upon close outs/overstrocks/seasonal items. It is directed at savers, not spenders.
It operates out of two warehouses. He introduced me to some of the places in this thread.

Goodwill online, Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. I have bought shoes, leather jackets, and watches on line from Goodwill. I have walked into a local huge Goodwill store and paid pennies for large suitcases.

You can walk up and down the aisles at Home Depot looking at products with an eye to survival. I walk up the aisles of Best Buy twice a year for a look at the latest technology products, without buying anything. I walk the Dollar Generals and other discounted/closeout and sometimes smelly type stores looking for ideas. I have a file with the cheap non Hallmark birthday cards..

·
M62/76
12,866 Posts
I regularly hit Dollar Tree for kitchen and bathroom needs- hard to beat the prices even at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
18,467 Posts
Right on! No, it is a forum for snarly comments by people frustrated in life. It has kernels of thought among the chaff.
Well I am frustrated. You got me pegged. IF others would acts right,y life would be so much better. You say snarly, I say comedic sarcasm.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts