Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't have given the place a second glance until a video popped up in my YouTube feed, something like "eating for a week from Dollar Tree on $10."

Now it's not exactly a Mormon cannery, you likely won't find a TON of things to put back for long term. But my local one had a surprisingly good selection. Rice, beans, lentils, spices, jelly, sauces, etc.

They even have cold foods. It's not a one stop prep food shop, but there are options there while also potentially stretching your money further in these times of shortages and high prices. Just do your homework, there are cases where you might be paying more there than you would be getting a bigger package elsewhere.

I'm intrigued to try the dollar box of instant oatmeal I got there. Apple cinnamon, they also had plain. And while some of their items are only able to be sold for $1 because of a small package size - this is a full 6, 43 gram, 160 calorie servings, just like the Quaker I had at home.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
I moved next to a Family Dollar last fall. I finally went up there this spring and was pleasantly surprised. Lots of name brand stuff, a clean big store, and pretty much everything you could need from pharmaceuticals to cleaning supplies to clothes and housewares and food. Not bad for emergency supplies when I don't want to drive.

I wonder if they are converting to Dollar Tree after the takeover though. Employees don't seem to know. The other alternative is closing the doors.

·
Registered
14,830 Posts
I wouldn't have given the place a second glance until a video popped up in my YouTube feed, something like "eating for a week from Dollar Tree on $10."

Now it's not exactly a Mormon cannery, you likely won't find a TON of things to put back for long term. But my local one had a surprisingly good selection. Rice, beans, lentils, spices, jelly, sauces, etc.

They even have cold foods. It's not a one stop prep food shop, but there are options there while also potentially stretching your money further in these times of shortages and high prices. Just do your homework, there are cases where you might be paying more there than you would be getting a bigger package elsewhere.

I'm intrigued to try the dollar box of instant oatmeal I got there. Apple cinnamon, they also had plain. And while some of their items are only able to be sold for $1 because of a small package size - this is a full 6, 43 gram, 160 calorie servings, just like the Quaker I had at home.
they have good quality tools too!

but yes, if you’re looking for cheap tasty bites loaded w/ preservatives they got it!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And then there is Dollar General! And they are all different!
I remember some Family Dollar stores from way back. And I'm in one of those places where the number of DG stores in the vicinity is a meme. But it was fairly recently that I learned that Dollar Tree's schtick is they really do just charge a dollar for everything there.

Reactions: Sharkey

·
Registered
812 Posts
I check their books from time to time.
Found a copy of “the code” about the nhl enforcers et all, lots of good stories, only $1
also a copy of the book about bobby knight- very good for a dollar also!,

buy some pliers, or other cheap hand tools, to keep in my vehicle, or use for odd jobs, they are not very good, but for the price , if they break, so what.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Wife goes to Dollar Tree. I don't know what all she gets but is usually a couple bags. We also go to Dollar General. The soda we drink is cheaper at DG than at Walmart,,,I remember her telling me that much. I'm not sure if there are still any Family Dollars around now or not. Been going to Sams Club since the spring. Wife says Sams is cheap IF you need a bulk buy on something.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I wonder if all the Wal-Mart bashers/haters would shop at Dollar Tree instead?
Oh I'd hate to see Walmart leave. Dollar Tree doesn't have the inventory that WM does. My wife is one of them people that doesn't shop at one store,,she knows the bargains at every one of them,,,,so grocery day is a stop at prob 5 stores. We get the majority of our supplies at Walmart though.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I would go there if... they sell .22lr ammo. or reloading supplies. round they have some weird brands on the food that I dont quite trust yet. I might could try some from there... one day , maybe.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Always get gift bags and wrapping paper and such there. When you need something for a kid's birthday why spend $10 on wrappings that will be ripped apart when it only costs a couple of bucks there. Always find something else to pick up there. Wife buys reading glasses there, she can keep three or four in different places where she may need them.
Last year when the panic was in high gear and you couldn't find paper towels and disenfectant, I found some at Dollar Tree to get us thru. And the prices didn't change there.😁

·
Registered
26,656 Posts
There are a Big Lots, Harbor Freight, Dollar Tree and "99 Cents and more" stores (it is not all $.99) all in a row a few miles from my house. There is also a discount cabinet store in between called Home Outlet - they have some decent cabinets and sinks for kitchens and bathroom remodels - but it is lower end stuff.

A few of the stores took over the space that use to be a Walmart. I use to like that small Walmart - knew where everything was and they always had 9MM and 40 S&W - as much as you wanted.

Sometimes wife and daughter will go to the Dollar Tree and I will hit Harbor Freight - it is surprising how busy these places are - I think having them all together actually helps them draw more business.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have 2 dollar generals and a family dollar within 10 minutes of here. The dollar general makes me feel like I need to wash off the meth residue when I leave. Family dollar is ok. No dollar trees around here yet

1 - 20 of 62 Posts