close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Don't park in a "compact car" space if you don't drive a compact car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by devildog2067, Mar 14, 2013.

1. droidfire

droidfire

Unless there is legislation dictating the need for compact spaces, it's simply a private property issue.

Either you respect the wishes of the property owner in your use of it, or not.

2. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

No love for a Grand Cherokee but a regular Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is similar in width to a compact car, and even shorter in length. You can't see over my roof but you can fully open your door when I park next to you. What a weird vehicle. :wavey:

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Sometimes there are REASONS for "COMPACT car parking only" area. Its often on a corner of parking garage, where wall sticks in slightly,etc. Places a crew cab, long bed pickup would stick halfway into lane. BUT a sub 18' compact would fit.
    I do agree you should stay between the lines. I really LOVE those places with double lines. Some drivers cheat so pass tires are on single line (guess so they can get out of drivers seat) with double lines its clear where YOUR area is, and where mine starts.

4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

If thats your biggest concern or problem of the day, that's not bad!

If there was a sign in front of that car with cop parking or something nobody would have a problem! Lol.

5. WarCry

WarCry

I'm not sure about the PX, but any other store, it's private property. They can set whatever parking restriction they like, and if your vehicle gets towed, that on you for disregarding the rights of that property owner.

Back many, many years ago, I worked for a small local business. We had probably a dozen parking spots (and had 5 employees), so every space was needed. There were signs that said parking was only for our shop, and that violators may be towed. We were right next door to the recruiters' offices.

I don't recall having anyone towed (the signs said "may") when they would park in our lot and go into the recruiters. Instead, what we did was take a 1/3rd sized sheet of paper with a message "politely" reminding them that they were parking in a private business lot. Then we would put that note on their windshield, facing inward, and secured with heavy-duty packing tape. It was NOT on the paint, just on the glass.

Private businesses have the right to post up any kind of limited parking they want. But I guess some folks just feel they're more important than silly "rules" and rights of property owners and they'll just do whatever the hell they want anyway.

6. N4LP

N4LP

I think they often put compact spaces because many cities require a certain number of parking spaces per sq. foot of building and this allows them to hit that parking spot number in less space. Regardless, I get a kick out of people who would probably sell their first born just to be a couple hundred feet closer to the door. If I have the option (a lot of times in city parking lots you don't) I just head to whatever part of the lot is wide open and then walk - hasn't killed me yet.

7. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I do that, and when I come out, there is usually someone parked right next to me, a little closer to my car than I would like. The rest of the spaces around us are empty, of course.

8. droidfire

droidfire

It's funny how the wind always blows my door open when that happens, must be how it gets funneled through that tight space between the cars.

When there are plenty of spaces around, and out in no mans land in the lot, it's definitely a good idea to leave an empty space between the vehicles.

That wind gets up to speed over all that empty space, then gets some force behind it when channeled through a tight space, like between two cars.

I usually (read:always) end up having to open both my front and back doors on that side, too. Must just be dumb luck.

9. ShallNotBeInfringed

ShallNotBeInfringed NRA Business Al

I'm lucky to find a place to park anywhere!

[​IMG]

10. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

My parking is different. I look for a spot that has an island/wall/physical barrier on one side. This means I can park close to that and it won't open the door into my car. Also, it won't back out while talking on a phone and side swipe my whole car and drive off. Parking this close also normally means if someone parks next to me they have a lot o extra room.

Next I like to have the other side empty and far enough away from an entrance that 99.8% of the other people are too lazy to walk that far. Occasionally Greg parks next to me, but I think he strategically picks his spot because he sees that I park in manner to avoid people giving my car door dings / other parking damage so he figures I am pretty safe to park next too.

If I cannot find an empty space that meets the above requirements, I find the most expensive car to park next too. I assume they don't want their car damaged and I therefore have less risk of having mine damaged.

So which GTers own those cars pictured in the thread?

Between these

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Sometimes I step on the red lines in the WalMart stores. Once my wife (accidently) ran her cart through a 25 item lane with the permission of the cashier, too.

Dang it was fun!!!

12. mixflip

mixflip

Squeeze some super glue in the locks.

13. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Thats fine in Seattle WA.

Come to Anchorage AK, in February with a -22 free air temp, and 30 mph wind speed, and I bet you'll park right up front with everyone else.

Even when you're bundled up its no fun.

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I understand that, and in AK, the only place that does it, is the BX/PX/Commissary. In that parking lot, they can't tow me at all, so I'll park anywhere I please, except the handicapped, and designated parking for GO/SGM/COL spots and the expectant mother parking spots.

I'm certainly not parking an extra 200+ feet down the line, because I'm driving my pickup, and not my TDI econobox.

15. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

I've seen this guy double parked somewhere every time I have gone into the garage. One of these days I'm gonna set his car on fire.

A little pepper spray on the door handle might be fun.

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I used to have fun with those. My '71 Duster still had the sticker price under the rear seat and it is honest to goodness listed as a "compact" so those spaces are legitimately used by my car.

If you think parking close to a 40 year old car is going to deter the driver from opening those llloooonnnngggg doors just because the paint might get dinged, think again. I'll make reasonable attempts to avoid it but if it hits and the car settles after the door is good and in contact, oh well. It IS a compact, get over it.

17. N4LP

N4LP

I'm sure that's true and I want no part of it. There are times when there's a legit reason to want/need to be close but I bet even in the summer you have your fare share of otherwise able Alaskans jockeying for spots near the door when the entire back half of the parking lot is wide open. People get weird about it.

I just figure every extra step I have to take is 1 less step worth of exercise I have to do later. I even generally walk to stores and restaurants rather than drive. It's 1-6 miles roundtrip, and up to 400 feet of elevation gain depending on the destination. Get a chore done and get some exercise done in one go. I used to not like living on top of a hill until I changed the way I thought about it. Some people pay good money to trudge on a stair stepper in the gym, I just get that as part of my weekly shopping.

18. N4LP

N4LP

I will purposely not park next to 70s "coupes" just for that reason. My buddy had a 77 Thunderbird when we were growing up. Doors were about 5 feet long and must of weighed a couple hundred pounds. It was a land barge.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've seen some places, like our local Walmart, with "pregnant customer parking". A while back, my wife and I realized that (a) they can't say for sure she's not pregnant, (b) pregnant women need exercise and (c) we have little sympathy for the breeders.:supergrin:

20. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman