close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Don't do Business with Billy Powell of Petal MS

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by dennis muldrew, Dec 13, 2002.

1. dennis muldrew

dennis muldrew

I answered an ad on the SC Emporium from someone who wanted to trade for/buy a drag bag. He offered AR15 mags. Being an AR shooter, and recently picking up a new Eagle bag I had an extra. I had a little used Carlos Hatcock Edition Blackhawk bag/shooting mat. It had carried my rifle to a shooting class at Badlands, and to the range a few times. Some dirt on it but no wear or tears. In excellent condition. I couldn't remember what I paid for it, but it retails on the Blackhawk site for $234. I figured I probably didn't pay list, and it was used some, so I thought that $125 was a fair deal. Billy Powell said he had AR15 mags to trade .I made an offer or the bag for 6 like new condition AR mags, which I assumed were USGI. I drove home from St Louis the day before Thanksgiving, boxed up the bag and sent it off before getting the bag, because Billy Powell thought "we should ship at the same time." In an email I sent him telling him I had shipped the bags he replied "your mags went out today too, UPS."

I finally checked on my package and it was delivered to Billy Powell on Nov 30th. I sent him an email and he replied he had "forgotten" to send the mags. Then he promised me he would ship them to me and I would have a tracking number by 0900 the next morning. Didn't happen, although he did send me a tracking number later in the day.
    I got home today and opened the box. I received six new blued steel mags, of very poor quality, with Colt floor plates on them.

He lied to me, and he has no honor. I emailed him to allow him to respond and rectify the screwing I feel I have taken, but he has not responded. I have dealt with many people over the net and bought and sold literally thousands of dollars worth of firearms and good, and this is the first time I have gotten -------. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!
    Billy Powell

Petal, MS 39465

I hope you are enjoying the use of my bag your steaming piece of excrement.:(

2. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

(Emphasis added to ASSUMED)

When dealing with people online, assume nothing. You offered to trade for 6 mags. He sent six mags in good condition. You assumed what the mags would be.

Is it ethical of him. Absolutely not! But should you have seen this coming.... cavet emptor.

3. dennis muldrew

dennis muldrew

I trusted this guy to do what was right and he screwed me over, period.
    Shame on me for expecting people to be honest and ethical. I just want to warn people that this guy is not honest nor ethical, YMMV.

BTW I believe that J&G sales only part in this was that they shipped the mags. But that was the address that he used.

4. tom mayo

tom mayo

Trusting people that you do not know is not the wisest thing to do. If I am dealing with someone I dont know I expect some very positive references, preferably someone that we BOTH know.

5. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

I know I've just started dealing with people online and so far I've had good experiences, nothing bad yet. Only piece of advise I can offer is sit down with people buying, selling, trading with, and get it all spelled out as to exactly what you're wanting, giving, etc.

Trace the tracking number and/or just look at the box and look for the markings...did the mags really end up coming from AZ or somewhere else? And talk to the company and find out if they do drop shipments cause thats almost what it sounds like here along with miscommunications.

Anyways, no flames ment, just advice. Try to have a better weekend. ;I

6. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Hindsight being 20/20 of course. One really needs to ask a lot of questions when buying stuff sight unseen. Never assume anything. Asking lots of questions also gives one the opportunity to talk with the seller for awhile to get a feel for them. If something doesn't feel right at all then it is time to drop the deal.

While I've not bought gun related equipment from a private party I have bought two motorcycles this way and it worked out fine because the sellers told me the truth about the flaws.

It's too bad the deal didn't work out for you. Getting monetarily ripped off is bad enough but it also makes you feel crumby about a fellow gun enthusiast. :(

7. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

yup

8. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Heck I got took on Glock mags. I paid a darn good price for non factory hi caps for my G19. He had the GLOCK name and symbol in the add enough. When I got the mags I was mad. I reread the add and realized he didn't say they were FACTORY. So I took it as a lifes lesson.

9. dennis muldrew

dennis muldrew

Billy Powell has made good on our trade. The POS mags were returned to J&G, and he replaced them with new USGI mags.

10. bitterspleaf

bitterspleaf

Nice! Glad this worked out for you. One of my biggest fears about dealings online is parts swapping. At least this guy FINally made good! This restores a little faith, eh?

11. Gunney1976

Gunney1976

True- be careful who you deal with but by the same token, you would like to believe most folks are honest. I have had the same frustrations with Billy Powell and be it a gun, gun parts, motorcycle, etc. you literally have to bug him to death to get what you paid for. Just when you decide never to deal with him again, he finally comes through/ I stopped all dealings with him last year- lessons learned....