close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Don't cut the price tag (with SN) off your Glock!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by legaleagle, Feb 18, 2006.

1. legaleagle

legaleagle

Here’s an interesting Federal case:
    9th Federal Court of Appeals 05-10153 US v. Romero Matinez

The fellow removed the serial number from the barrel and slide of his Glock and metal-cuttered out the serial number plate cast into the frame, and these facts resulted in a sentencing enhancement.

The lawyer in this appeal says Glock did not comply with federal regulations in applying the number: the SN is supposed to be “engraved or cast” into the frame.

The government lawyer (confronted with a hypothetical question) says, because the manufacturer puts the SN on a paper hang-tag attached to the trigger guard, she says ys a felon should get a sentencing enhancement if he removes the tag (or possesses such a pistol with the hangtag removed) (and she says, no innocent persons would not be prosecuted).

The judge compares this to the penalties for ripping the tag off a mattress.

This is an audio file:

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/med...8256e1a006323db?OpenView&Count=200&ExpandView

look up case 05-10153 on February 17, 2006

Listen to it all, but especially at about minute 15:00

2. n3hcp

n3hcp Paranoid Member

3. mrrogers1

mrrogers1

4. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Dear legaleagle,

Thanks for posting the link unfortuantely I cannot do sound with my machine as the speakers have never been hooked up. Just reading the parts you shared with us here however I have a question. Is it the government's lawyer, or Martinez's lawyer who says that Glock did not comply with the regulations by using a cast in plate on the pistol's frame for the serial number? It sounds to me like it's the Martinez attorney making an argument that Martinez did not alter/remove the serial number because it was not placed on the firarm correctly in the first place. If it was the government then there are a lot of people out there with Glocks, Rugers, and maybe other brands who have improperly marked handguns.

The think about the werial number on the tag thing is scary and luckily it was only a prosecutor giving her view on the subject. I can't believe a charge like that would hold up even for sentencing. Stay safe, Gary

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

More idiots in the court room I see. :soap:

6. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

There's the law, and then there's the 9th Circuit.... What a bunch of idiots.

7. slyjackalope

slyjackalope

The real idiots are the ones in Congress that let the 9th Circuit get away with this garbage. Remove a couple of these judges from the bench and watch how quick the rest of them straighten up. Oh, but that would require the eunuchs to regrow their balls.