Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The article is kind of pointless. There is no real context given. Sounds like a colossal over reaction by the school.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that calling someone by their country of origin was a racial slur. Wonder if we should be offended if someone calls us an "American". Nah, on second thought I'm Proud to be an American, they can call me that all that they like.:cool: Guess the kid wasn't proud to be Haitian though so to him it was a slur. :upeyes:

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
This reminds me of The Office episode when Michael asked the hispanic dude if there was anything less offensive than "Mexican" that he preferred to be called.:supergrin:

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
We can't say "obese" at work anymore, we have to say "elevated BMI".

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Well if you did not mind being called a Haitian before you should now. Apparently Haitian means you are one of the lowest forms of life in existence from their reaction.

·
Banned
88 Posts
As a Hispanic american, I have to say all of this bs it totally backwards, America is all about pleasing the minorities, if they dont like it they can leave...

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
PC at it's finest! :upeyes:

·
God rules all!
6,209 Posts
We can't say "obese" at work anymore, we have to say "elevated BMI".
That's just damn silly. What's wrong with "obese?" I'm fat, I also know that I am "fat" and fully expect my doctor to lecture me about my weight everytime I go in for a checkup.

"Obese" is a perfectly acceptable medical term. It's silly to attempt to be inoffensive and find another euphemism for a self-inflicted disorder.

"Ooh, ooh, I'm a victim. Don't call me "fat" or "obese," you might hurt my poor sensitive feelings.":upeyes:

Sorry everyone, (now everyone repeat after me) "Nowhere in the Constitution of the United States will you find a right not to be offended."

God this nation is going to the dogs.

·
Simple Member
7,472 Posts
I would be mad too if you called me a Haitian.

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
My understanding from reading the article is that the teacher called the boy "Hatian".

As in, let's say Frank_Drebin is a student in my class, and he is of from China.

I separate him and another schooler who is arguing, and say to him :"Chinese boy, come up here and stand up.", when it is evident I know his name.

If you know someone's name, call them by their name. Don't call them "son, boy, pickney, gal, missy, Haitian, Mexican girl, etc". If their name eludes you, young man or young lady or sir or ma'am still works like it's always done.

I am not surprised that most of the folks who've responded to this thread so far (as will most others) not "get it", or pick up on the nuance of bias. It's a private school ($$$$) and the boy got a scholarship there. Do the math, connect the dots.

It would not be news if it were as simple as SOME of you are viewing it. duh.

'Drew

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.