Dont beat me up too bad, but I am looking for a wireless card for........

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Smokecloud, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Smokecloud

Smokecloud

My Old laptop, its a Toshiba 435 Satelite pro, it is currently running windows 95 and I only have a dial up connection for it. I dont run the net with it because it is mostly for typing out reports and documents, but I want to start utilizing email for work. I really dont want to purchase a new laptop just for email. I currently have wireless at my home and work. Is there a wireless card that will work with my setup? I tried running win 98, but it doesnt have enough power to use that programming and it slowed the laptop down considerably, so i reinstalled win 95. thanks.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I think you will find that most WiFi cards need Win98 at a minimum for the proper utilization of the drivers they require.

You'd be better off using Linux on that laptop, IMHO. Faster, cheaper and also more stable and it also has better driver support for most peripherals...

Maybe it's time to check with the WiFi card makers; maybe someone has a Win95 driver that will work with their offerings.

Remember, though, that Win95 just plain sucks for networking.

Good luck!

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Look for a PCMCIA card, 16 bit.

If it says cardbus, it is for WIN98 or above.

DanH

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

5. greenlead

greenlead

All wireless cards I've found require cardbus (32 bit PCMCIA).

Most older laptops do not physically-support cardbus. I had this same issue a few months ago when I wanted to update my old Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS to wireless. The cards are physically different.