Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i recently built a 5.45x39 AR15 with because that's the only ammo i could find on shelves currently. I bought a few cases of silver bear steel case ammo and proceeded to let off a few hundred rounds to sight it in and test function. One particular box of ammo was popping primers and being really smoky but i didn't take that as a sign to stop before my upper blew up in my face. The mag flew out the bottom, the upper split and so did the BCG/Barrel. I am done with steel cased ammo in all calibers, who knows when it could happen again? Attached are pics. A friend who is a reloader said they must've filled the case to capacity. Auto part Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Rotor Room Textile Wood Linens Fur Ammunition Finger Mineral Nail Bullet Fashion accessory Gemstone Jewellery Finger Ring

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Many years ago had similar happen with 40 S&W Wolf ammo in a near new H&K USP Compact. My attorney took pics of the gun and witness statements. Sent demand letters to H&K and the Wolf importer. H&K said buzz-off. The importer said send the gun (pieces) to them and they sent a check to my attorney. There was no physical damage to myself or those around me.

NEVER used that *$&@ again.:cheers:

Reactions: Paul53

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Damn. Just purchased 500 rounds of wolf 30 carbine yesterday for my blackhawk. .25 per round vs at least .35 for anything in brass. lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many years ago had similar happen with 40 S&W Wolf ammo in a near new H&K USP Compact. My attorney took pics of the gun and witness statements. Sent demand letters to H&K and the Wolf importer. H&K said buzz-off. The importer said send the gun (pieces) to them and they sent a check to my attorney. There was no physical damage to myself or those around me.

NEVER used that *$&@ again.:cheers:
I need a good Attorney for this. The only issue I'm facing is finding the distributor of silver bear so i can have a discussion with them

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I need a good Attorney for this. The only issue I'm facing is finding the distributor of silver bear so i can have a discussion with them
Do what you wish, but I would suggest letting the attorney communicate with the ammo importer/distributor. Get lots of pics - witness statements - documentation of the "event". My opinion, your going to have a problem with a "build" gun. Just have to see what the lawyer says. Be thankful you were not physically hurt. Good luck! :cheers:

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do what you wish, but I would suggest letting the attorney communicate with the ammo importer/distributor. Get lots of pics - witness statements - documentation of the "event". My opinion, your going to have a problem with a "build" gun. Just have to see what the lawyer says. Be thankful you were not physically hurt. Good luck! :cheers:
I managed to find the distributor's phone number and they were concerned about my issue. Told me to fill out a complaint form with evidence and they'd send me a check. The name of the barnaul/bear ammo company is DKG trading co. for anyone interested.

·
Daca is caca
3,938 Posts
Anybody that's too scared to shoot their steel x39 I will give it a good home

·
MacGyver
8,126 Posts
Hey guys, i recently built a 5.45x39 AR15

Glad you weren't hurt.
Home built AR. Did you check headspacing prior?

I've probably have used 10+K rounds of 7.62x39. 45, 9mm all brands, various rifles and pistols, with no problems.

556/223- no good in my AR's- stuck cases
Winchester Forged- no good- stuck in mags

Reactions: Penn'sWoods

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad you weren't hurt.
Home built AR. Did you check headspacing prior?

I've probably have used 10+K rounds of 7.62x39. 45, 9mm all brands, various rifles and pistols, with no problems.

556/223- no good in my AR's- stuck cases
Winchester Forged- no good- stuck in mags
The bolt and barrel were headspaced at the factory before i got it. I've made at least 10 rifles and the only issue i ever had besides that was a misaligned gas block.

·
Registered
26,496 Posts
No, but it will be much easier to prove liability with an american manufacturer.

Will you still shoot American made steel case?

What about foreign made brass case?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.