Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,011 Posts
Sad day for me. But he got to pass as the winningest coach and only undefeated, untied champion in NFL history.

Best professional head football coach ever and a class act.
May he Rest in Peace.

As a kid I corresponded with him and he was gracious and kind and always responded.
I wrote letters to him after great wins or terrible losses. I remember my first letter to him, 1982 I was 11 and the Dolphins had just lost the second longest game in NFL history to the Chargers in OT. He responded with some swag and a nice personal letter.

Long live Coach Shula!

·
M62/76
12,544 Posts
Its funny, I was watching a special on the 1982 Redskins yesterday and saw footage from Super Bowl XVII where they played the Dolphins and thought to myself, “Shula has to be way up their in age.” RIP Coach.

Reactions: tuica

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,516 Posts
Its funny, I was watching a special on the 1982 Redskins yesterday and saw footage from Super Bowl XVII where they played the Dolphins and thought to myself, “Shula has to be way up their in age.” RIP Coach.
Dolphin hitching a diesel ride to the end zone.

·
Horselover Fat
34,928 Posts
“The 1972 Miami Dolphins season was the team’s seventh season, and third season in the National Football League (NFL). The 1972 Dolphins are the only NFL team to win the Super Bowl with a perfect season. The undefeated campaign was led by coach Don Shula and notable players Bob Griese, Earl Morrall, and Larry Csonka. The 1972 Dolphins went 14–0 in the regular season and won all three postseason games, including Super Bowl VII against the Washington Redskins, to finish 17–0......... “

What a team and what a year! Larry Csonka one of my favorite runners. Called him the bowling ball!!

Rest easy, coach. You had a great life!

·
Super Moderator
2,344 Posts
He was a great coach. As a Bills fan we certainly had a rival hatred for the fish.

I had a branch in Miami Lakes and the hotel had pictures of him and the team in every room. More than once I left toilet paper hanging from the pictures.

Sorry Don......RIP

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
10,022 Posts
Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Annoying Member
2,202 Posts
I remember the 1972 season where the Dolphins went undefeated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Miami_Dolphins_season
"An enduring controversy is that the 1972 Dolphins played a soft schedule not possible under the current scheduling formula. Prior to the implementation of position scheduling in 1978, opponents were set by the NFL on a rotating basis. Statistically, the Dolphins’ 1972 regular-season opponents had an aggregate winning percentage of .397 and only two had winning records for that season (both the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Giants finished 8–6)."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Second best coach IMHO, next to the great Vince Lombardi.

Don was a gentlemen and professional who wished to be remembered as a coach who believed in rules and played by the rules. His players, coaches and anyone associated with him, found him to be a team builder, great coach, and a fine man who loved his family. Another great man goes to his eternal reward, he will be missed. RIP Don.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts