Dominate Eye

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by NU9MM, Jun 7, 2020.

1. NU9MM

NU9MM

Ok question, I’m right handed left eye dominate. I shoot my pistol right handed left eye. Shoot rifle left and left. Just curious how hard it would be to switch to shooting my AR right and right. I have tried in the past when trying to zero my red dot and had a very difficult time. Switched back to left and left and had it zeroed in no time. It just seems that weapon manipulation is much smoother shooting right handed. But then again I’m sure it’s all about training shooting left and left. As a side note when I was into archery I shoot my bow right and right with very good accuracy. Hope this all makes sense.

2. TNT

TNT

I don’t have a dominant eye, it switches back and forth. I either have to close my left eye or put a piece of tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses.

3. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

I'm also right handed left eye dominant.

I keep both eyes open when shooting.

My story: shoot pistol, shotgun and rifle all right handed. Pretty accurate with shotgun and rifle.

Pistol is a little more challenging for me. I find myself favoring my left eye when pistol shooting. I'm equally accurate when pistol shooting with strong and weak hand (at least up to 7-10 yds.).

But to answer your question about shooting an AR, right handed, I never had much of a problem. Maybe it's because that's the way I was taught at an early age?

Cross eye dominance has been researched quite a bit with plenty of articles to read. Good luck...

EDIT: do what works for you!

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  4. bac1023

bac1023

I’m right hand and right eye.

Unfortunately my left eye’s vision is actually better than my right.

Lagamor, HALO51 and Glolt20-91 like this.
  5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Same here, but for practical pistol, I think strong dominance is a bigger asset than sharp acuity.

PEC-Memphis likes this.
  6. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor

I'm the exact same way. Right handed, left eye dominate. I also shoot handguns right handed and aim with left eye and shoot rifles left/left. I do practice shooting handguns left/left and it just takes some time for it to become comfortable and you reasonably hit where your aiming. Shooting a rifle right handed is much more difficult for me and I stick with the southpaw. I suppose practice would remedy that also. Best bet would probably be a .22 rifle to keep the ammo costs at a minimum.

7. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

I'm left hand, right eye dominant.

I shoot pistol left hand, but rifle and shotgun right hand.

8. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

I'm right hand and left eye. I shoot everything right handed. For pistols I just line up the sights with my left eye. I use red dots right eye with both eyes open but I do have to close my left eye for scopes. With shotguns I just have to briefly close my left eye to get my brain to switch to my right eye then I can keep both open.

You just need to figure out what works for you with some trial and error. I experimented with a lot of different techniques to get where I'm at. (I can actually shoot left handed shotgun clays half decent)

9. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

I'm right handed left eye dominate...now it's cataract vision both eyes. :) With handguns, I find it easier to use a field interview stance, line the bore axis with the right arm fully extended and tuck cheek into right shoulder...like a rifle stock cheek weld.

10. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Ambi both. I shoot right handed more than left because my guns are set up that way (lefty guns are harder to find and sell).
    Everyone's a bit different tho.

11. bac1023

bac1023

Obviously it would depend on the individual case, but I agree in general.

12. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

One of the more interesting things to me about shooting is how difficult it can be to observe the differences in what's going on with different shooters.

I recall once coaching a production shooter on sight vs. target focus, and he said he couldn't remember which front sight to use... I had never even noticed there was a ghost image up to that point.

13. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

Do what comes naturally. In a stressful fight or flight situation... that second of hesitation to think and line everything up goes out the window. This applies to competition and self defense.

Stick to what is natural, easiest, and most importantly repeatable.

14. porschedog

porschedog

After LASIK in which my right eye is slightly tweaked for distance, the left for close up, (negating the need for reading glasses and it works great) my left eye is now my dominant eye for shooting sports. No big deal, I still hit the steel plates more often than not. I can use both eye for red dot equipped guns, but for iron sights, it’s left eye open right eye closed unless I want blurry vision.

15. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I close both of them when I squeeze the trigger.

syntaxerrorsix and jmontgomery like this.
  16. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

I’m exactly in the same boat as you are - right handed but my strong eye is the left eye. I shoot my AR (or any long gun) left and left simply because I could not aim with my right eye when I tried to shoot a long gun with my right hand. So, I gave up long time ago...

Now I’m trying to train myself to be able to shoot handguns left and left, as well, to make myself a “pseudo ambidextrous.” Tactically, there is a lot of advantages if you are “ambidextrous” shooter, anyways.

syntaxerrorsix and NU9MM like this.
  17. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

I'm going to try this - thanks.

18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'm the same way and see it as a plus although I'm also fairly ambidextrous. Manipulation is a matter of familiarity and training. It's entirely possible to train you non-dominant eye to be the dominant eye but if will take a lot of time and training. Simply not worth it to me.

GlockyQ and NU9MM like this.
  19. Peak Fudd

Peak Fudd Amateur geezer

I’m left/left. Shoot ARs a lot. The only manipulation that is awkward for me is the safety, and I simply bring my left thumb over to manipulate it. Could get an ambidextrous safety, but it’s not really worth it to me.

As to becoming comfortable shooting right handed, right eye dominant (weak side for me), I bought a cheap Savage bolt action .22lr back in 1999, and used it for inexpensive practice. Shot it almost exclusively weak side for years, now I’m fairly comfortable using long guns either side. As to your AR, maybe using a .22lr AR for cheaper practice would help.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Why would you try to change? What would the advantage be? Just the magazine release and ejection port?