close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Domain registration, hosting services?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by silentpoet, Dec 14, 2011.

1. silentpoet

silentpoet

I am looking for options other than godaddy for a couple of websites I am planning. I have checked through godaddy and the two domains I want at this time are available. One of the sites would be a blog. The other would be more of a small business site.

What company is good, reputable, and economical? The sites shouldn't be bandwidth intensive, at least they wouldn't have a huge number of audio, video, or picture files. The blog might have more pictures or possibly video than the other site. I need either software or a host with good templates because graphic design is not a strong area for me. I don't need ecommerce support or features for the small business site, at least not at this time, so that is not a primary concern.

I am just trying to gather some info at this time, I am not sure when I will be putting this all into action, but maybe around the first of the year.

2. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

3. edporch

edporch

I've been using register.com for my domains.

You say your website isn't too data intensive, so you might consider running it out of your house.

As far as web hosting and email server, I have my own.
    A web and email server for basic service can be easily made with an old Pentium III or better that's lying around, using OpenBSD UNIX as the operating system.
    It's stable, secure, comes with Apache and Sendmail with several software packages.
    OpenBSD just runs, and once you get it set up you can almost walk away and forget it.

I run mine off of a 12/2 Comcast Business Class account out of my house..
    I have a second computer running OpenBSD that I use for a firewall/router.
    Been running it for about 10 years and have NEVER been hacked.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I use http://www.dotster.com for registration and then host my own websites. 11.99/yr for .com domains and $3.75/month for web hosting. They've been nothing but reliable for the 10 years or so I've used them.

5. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Also take a look at Total Choice Hosting.

I have the plan that is 9.95 a month for 20 Gb disk space and 400 Gb monthly bandwidth (domain purchase not included). They have rapid and efficient customer support and very reliable servers. C-Panel 11 for your interface.

Also like that the take PayPal, which means one less place I have to hand my CC number to. Good luck with your decision.

6. wct097

wct097

I personally use Godaddy for registration and Amazon Web Services for hosting (EC2 cloud server). My hosting runs me ~ $15 a month + ~$50 a year, but I can host an almost unlimited number of site and can actually log in to the server and have full control over it.

I do, however, run a number of websites for my business, so it's pretty cost effective for me. The cheaper <$10/mo hosted site is probably best for the OP. I'd also suggest checking out Google's free offerings too. You can get a number of email account and a really simple to use selection of templates to host your site on. You could be up and running for free in a few minutes (not including the cost of registering the domain).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

I use hover.com for domain registration.

In any case, my one recommendation is you keep your domain name registration and web hosting purchase separate beasts. Do not purchase your domain names through web hosting.

8. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

9. silentpoet

silentpoet

Thanks to everybody for all the sources. Going through them now and looking at the options. I appreciate the help.

10. rfenster

rfenster CLM

11. Radiac

Radiac Got Jacks?

12. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Silentpoet, just wondering what kind of problems have you had with GoDaddy?

13. kiole

kiole

Bluehost
    Unlimited bandwidth/subdomains

14. silentpoet

silentpoet

I haven't had problems but I saw on another thread where many people have had problems. So I figured I better look up the options so I can make a better informed decision.

15. huaco

huaco

I've found Liquidweb to be very reliable for my personal domains. They are not the cheapest but not bad and their customer service on the few times I've needed it was something you just don't see much anymore; the phone rang a few times and someone who spoke very good English answered and before I knew it my questions were answered or problems are resolved.

I use Godaddy for registration and pay a bit more for the private registration option where my personal info as the administrator is protected. I've thought about moving my registration over to Liquidweb but haven't because I have experienced having a hosting service that got bought out and went tango uniform quickly. Changing hosting services is not difficult as long as you have separate control of the registration.

The company I work for uses Globat. Customer service is not nearly as good and the administrative interface is slow but they have been quite reliable for several years. As far as I can tell their storage and bandwidth usage is unlimited.

16. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

GoDaddy's admin panel is the most pitiful thing I've ever seen. Aside from that I can't say much about their hosting since I only had any account for a couple days before I cancelled it in disgust.

17. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Amen to that. One of the most confusing and cryptic interfaces I've seen. Fortunately I only had to use it once or twice (my company's website is very basic, plain HTML).

18. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

To answer the OP:

I use 1and1. I suspect they're not the best, and I've never had to use the help system, but they've never gone down on me. That counts for something.

19. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Good Luck moving your domain as well... they change the nomenclature so you can't get to the items you need to actually initiate the move.

Haven't had that problem any other place...

That's my $0.02 worth... :wow:

Merry Christmas
    Patrick

20. cphilip

cphilip

Same here...