domain question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Alpha752, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Alpha752

Alpha752

I have free web space through my adelphia broadband account. If I buy a domain, can I attach that domain to the adelphia web space? And if I can, how do I point my users.adelphia.net site to the new domain?

Thanks,
    Russ

2. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

Most places that let you register a domain name will let you create a redirect page, that would point to your site on another server.

3. Alpha752

Alpha752

Thanks. I have done that, and currently my domain is forwarding to my adelphia hosting site.

Another question, Can I directly link the domain to the site, bypassing the adelphia.net address? If so, how. My domain is registered with godaddy.com and my site is on the users.adelphia.net server if that helps.

Thanks
    Russ

4. 10Forward

10Forward SACD music nut

If you are talking about your real address showing up, and not the domain you just purchased, there's an easy way to cover that. use Domain Masking, when people type in www.YourCoolAdress.com, and they end up at your free site that looks way to long and lame, it's masked, and YourCoolAdress.com is the only thing that shows. I had domain masking added for just a few buck a year, so it was a good deal. And you can usually turn it off and on whenever you want. Domain masking is usually an option offered by the folks that are re-directing you right now.

- Tony

5. Alpha752

Alpha752

Thanks. I am using masking now, but have a little problem. Ill use the real URL names to try to make this less confusing. My site is hosted at users.adelphia.net/~rboone1. I own the domain www.russboone.net. Currently I have it forwarded and masked so you see russboone.net. The problem I am having is with the sub pages. users.adelphia.net/~rboone1 is the main page, then it links to adelphia.net/~rboone1/velcro.html, and others. The masking covers all the sub sites, so if you are on the velcro site, and refresh, you go back to the main.

See what im saying? Please forgive the noob questions, I have never played with this stuff before.

Thanks,
    Russ

6. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

I know what you are saying, domain masking is nothing more than frames put in place by your registrar. I'm not sure how to fix your problem.