close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Domain Name Servers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by lomfs24, Feb 25, 2005.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

OK, here's the situation. I have several domains registered at dotser.com. They were having a special a while ago where you could get 25 free .info domains if you signed up. So while I didn't get 25 I did get several. One of which I turned into a DNS server. My friend, who also got several turned one of his into a DNS server. So naturally they have the suffix .info.

We registered them with dotser as dns servers. We said ns1.mydomain.info is a DNS and they work, both of them. Now, I am moving a website to my server and the domain for that is registered at lowcostdomains.com. And when I put those name servers in they say they are not in the registry and therefor cannot be used. I have sent in two help tickets and neither one have been responded to yet. Almost three days later.

Why can they not be used? Is it because they are registered at another place, or because they are .info domains? Any thoughts or questions?

--edit-- Their site says that they respond almost immediately. Then it says an email response in 12-24 hours. It's been almost 3 days. BAH

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

You have not registered those IP addresses as DNS servers with your new registration company.

Somewhere they should have a "Register the DNS Server here" button. Put the IP address in and the name. It has to resolve to itself.

If the IP address of the DNS server has ever been registered as another DNS server other than the one you say it is, it will never be able to be registered until it is taken out of the system and that is a bear.

DanH

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

Here's the catch, there is no "register domain" button. I can either put one in and the two I have lowcostdomains doesn't like or I can register one for the domain I got from them, but I cannot register another one. Strange thing is these two DNS servers have been registered with dotster, why won't they work with lowcostdomains?

4. prism

prism more ammo

where are the nameserver IPs?

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

In what realm do you mean "where"? Do you mean where in the world are they? Or do you mean, whoses IP's are they? If you mean whose's then one is mine which I purchased through qwest.net with me DSL line and the other is my friends which he purchased through Bresenan Cable ISP. If you mean where in the world then they are both in Montana.

6. prism

prism more ammo

ok, was just wanting to make sure there were IPs set up as nameservers somewhere.

If you want, PM me the nameserver names, and I'll see if I can add them to a couple of my domains (temporarily).

btw, zoneedit.com gives free dns services for up to five domains.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

For the moment the problem seems to be fixed. Thanks prism.