close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Domain name in 'redemption period'

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Wayne02, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

I let a .com domain name expire that was due for renewal 12/28. It was registered with godaddy and now shows that it is 'taken' on their site. Whois shows the old information for me but says the the status is that the account is in Redemption Period. What does that mean, is it still available for me to renew or not?

Second question - if I can't renew it or repurchase it, I can go with either .org or .net extensions. As a practical matter, does make much difference between these two? This is for a personal site, not a business website.

Thanks

2. AAshooter

AAshooter

Contact the folks and see if you can renew . . . if you were the last owner, it is likely.

Generally if it is a personal site, .net is probably more appropriate. Or, buy both and point them to the same website.

3. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Not sure how the "redemption period" works, but you may want to call them to find out.

As far as the .org or .net thing, if it's a personal site, it doesn't really matter. As a rule of thumb .org was originally intended for non-profit organizations to use and .net was generally for service providers to use if I'm not mistaken. If I got it wrong, someone will be along shortly to point it out.. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

The redemption period means you can elect to pay them a ridiculous amount extra to get it back.

It's a long explanation as to why it's this way, but it boils down to the foxes being in the henhouse for domain regulations (and I don't mean on GoDaddy's part). It is part of a system that is very, very wrong.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  5. prism

prism more ammo

you can probably still renew it while it is in in redemption, but for a lot more than normal registration fee.

or, it might be cheaper to backorder it at godaddy, and they have a good chance of getting it back for you when it drops.