Dollywood - Pigeon Forge - This was a bit surprising

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SC Tiger, Aug 19, 2015.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Mrs. SC Tiger and I took the Tiger cub to Dollywood last week. He started Kindergarten yesterday and we wanted him to have a vacation beforehand.

Anyway - as we are nosing through one of the 8 gazillion stores they have - specifically one of the leather shops - I noticed something on one of the purses that the wife was looking at.

Dollywood actually sells - in the park - ladies' purses designed for Concealed Weapon carry! Never thought I'd see that.

Of course, we aren't talking Disney World and their over-the-top PC-ness here either.

AirCav and nursetim like this.
  2. Adjuster

Adjuster

3. captainstormy

captainstormy

I went to Dollywood when I was 12ish or so. It was a good time. Do they still have the knife and ax throwing booths?

4. BSA70

BSA70

I went to Dolly Wood over 10 years ago. Borefest, it was horrible. It had a couple of good shows and the eagle reserve was cool. I could have walked out in about 4 hours but did'nt because of what it cost for my family to get into the place.

5. Pawcatch@aol.co

[email protected]

Dollywood is the largest employer in Severe county, I'm sure they know their clientele.
    With all the Rebel flags for sale in Pigeon Forge, I would think a ccw purse wouldn't even register.

nursetim likes this.
  6. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Dollywood.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

The missus and I went to Cambria Exchange 361 yesterday, with the entire family, and it was great. We all had a great time, and I highly suggest it as a family outing for everyone. They actually sold CCW badges, pistols, and licenses, right there on the spot.

7. Dave514

Dave514

8. SC Tiger

Nah. She doesn't have her permit yet (working on that). I'm not big on women CCing in their purse anyway. Too easily separated from the gun.

They don't that I saw. They also don't have the black powder shooting exhibit anymore where you could actually shoot the thing. I enjoyed that when I was a kid but I was a good bit older than SC Cub is right now.

Don't have the old blacksmith that was there when I was a kid either. He was really good and showed how things were done "back in the day." Now they have a young looking kid (when I was there anyway) who may be very talented but doesn't do the demos - at least that I saw.

Someone once said that Country music started going downhill when people discovered Dolly Parton's boobs. Not saying I agree but I always thought it was a funny quote.

And supposedly the only thing on her that isn't OEM is her hair (she wears a wig).

I know a few people who have met her and she is supposedly very nice and down-to-earth.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. SC Tiger

I was just surprised that they were for sale in the actual park. Also strange considering that the park has a supposed ban on CCW inside. It's not posted but in the list of rules somewhere. Were I to guess I would say it is more because there are a lot of roller coasters and "wet rides" where a concealed firearm could either be exposed or be lost, and they don't want to deal with the hassle. I left my "little partner" in the car for those reasons.

In reality their insurance probably made them put the verbage in there.

nursetim likes this.
  10. captainstormy

captainstormy

Sucks that it they don't have the throwing booths anymore, but I'm not really surprised. I also remember the blacksmith and the black powder exhibit. I wasn't that exacted about either of them as I was throwing knives and axes :)

Either way, hope you had a good time. The pigeon forge / gatlinburg area can be a whole lot of fun.

nursetim likes this.
  11. SC Tiger

We did. SC Tiger Cub had a great time. We found a water ride where you ride it and squirt water cannons at targets. The funny part (and Mrs SC Tiger and Tiger Cub didn't realize this when they went on it the first time without me) is that spectators can also shoot back! Needless to say we got very, very wet.

They have a glass blowing exhibition to. I love that sort of thing (blacksmithing, glass blowing, any of those types of things) and enjoyed watching the man work and describe what he was doing.

They have a cool roller coaster too - the Wild Eagle. I wasn't gonna do a lot of rides but I just had to. It was fun but I wish I had left my glasses off (they didn't fall off but I was worried about them the whole time). There are more but for now I think that one is their showpiece.

I also learned that as I get older I can still do roller coasters, but I can't do them one behind the other. Need a few minutes for the stomach to come back down!

It is probably the butt of many jokes but in reality Dollywood is a pretty nice amusement park.

12. nursetim

nursetim

I love that area. Mainly because of the smokey mountain knifeworks. Lots to do. Wouldn't mind having a condo there.

13. SC Tiger

I went there too. They sell guns now. I did see a Glock 42 and the Glock .380, but for some odd reason the only ones they had had purple frames.

14. iontrap

iontrap

Who remembers (and visited) when it was Silver Dollar City? That was many moons ago.

RandomGuy likes this.
  15. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

Living just down the road in Knoxville, I've never actually made it to Dollywood. Smoky Mountain Knife Works, and the new Buds Shop/indoor range that opened last year just behind it tend to attract me a bit more, but I know dozens of people who buy season passes to Dollywood and the affiliated waterpark, Splash Country, and absolutely love them other than the traffic in and out of the area.

16. bipe215

bipe215

There's a new Buds Gun Shop next to it.

17. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

One of the funniest things Johnny Carson said in his monologue as she had been on the night before: tonight we're gonna do the point spread on Dolly Parton!

18. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Something tells me that Dolly just might have put a bunch of pellets in someone's ass, more than once, in her life.

19. railfancwb

railfancwb

At least one of us. Early 1960s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. cmosu

cmosu

My wife and I went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon in April. Dollywood was a really good time but if I had my choice to go back or to go to silver dollar city in Branson, I would pick Branson. We both felt the demonstrations were a lot better in MO and the park had more charm. The Biltmore estate in Asheville was amazing though. I'd go back there again anytime.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk