close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dollar dance at a wedding.....tacky?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wrx04, May 29, 2012.

1. wrx04

wrx04

My wedding is this Saturday. We just talked to the DJ to get our entrance/songs/etc.. lined up. He asked if we wanted to do a "dollar dance". Basically, he plays a song and we start dancing.....then he gets on the mic and tells everyone to bust out a dollar (or five, or ten, or 20). People hold the money in the air and we split up, run to each table and grab the money from everyone, as well as say hi/thanks/blah blah blah.

He says its pretty cool, and really livens up the room. Once one person holds up a buck, everyone else follows suit, and its over in less than 5 minutes. Most newlyweds make ~$300 within five minutes:whistling:

My first impression is that its tacky. Seems like you are milking a crowd who has already bothered to give you a gift, taken time out of their schedule to show up, and almost nickel and diming your guests. The DJ insists its a pretty cool way to get the crowd amped up.

What do you think? Have you ever seen this done, and what was your impression?

2. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Never heard of such a thing and frankly sounds ridiculous.

ETA Congrats on the nuptials.

Last edited: May 29, 2012

3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

It is meant to help the newlyweds along with a bit of cash, and in my opinion is only tacky if the newlyweds are well off, or if the guests all all unemployed.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Donning a flame-retardant suit here, but I've never attended a wedding that included anyone with a microphone / PA system that wasn't tacky. HH

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I've never been to a wedding that didn't have a dollar dance honesty. I think it's a fun way for the couple to make some little extra cash.

6. Tony44

Tony44 That Guy Millennium Member

I've seen it done at a wedding or two. My opinion is that it's a bit tacky and does come off as "milking the crowd". I would keep it classy and skip that.

7. wrx04

wrx04

Never been to a wedding with a DJ? Every one ive been to has had a mic.:dunno:

8. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Well, it's not as bad as a $40 lap dance with the bride...

(Seriously, we didn't do a $ dance at our wedding, because we thought it was tacky.)

9. brausso

brausso

We did it at our wedding, but I was 23 at the time and it was nice to have an extra $300+ to take with us on our honeymoon. Granted I'd gladly pay $300 to know she was actually a whore. Oh well you win some, you lose some.

Anyway it really depends on what kind of wedding you're having. How old are you?

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Yes. A great DJ says little, if anything. HH

11. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

never heard of it , sounds stupid and yeah its tacky

12. RandomHero

RandomHero

i thought the dollar dance was the dj plays a song or 10 and the dollar givers get to dance with the bride/groom for a little bit? thats how its been at all the weddings ive been at.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  13. gkring

gkring

Dollar dances I have seen were paying a buck to 20 bucks to dance with the bride or groom for 10-30 seconds. Just various ways to give a little cash to the newlyweds. Young couples I think it is fine, older (30 plus) not so much. For a wedding the end answer is whatever she wants.

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

The DJ at our wedding was strictly forbidden from saying anything at all.

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

Also, never heard of the dollar dance thing and it sounds tacky. I would not be running around grubbing for cash on my wedding night.

16. wrx04

wrx04

Im 28. I dont think we are gonna do it. We could use the money (we are paying for the wedding ourselves and i have a crapload of student loans) but we dont "need" it. Plus, most people would probably view us as "well off" already.

17. wrx04

wrx04

He wont be saying much at all. Introducing us, and maybe this. Im pretty sure we're not gonna do this though. Thanks for all the opinions, it helped make up my mind already.

18. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

A dollar dance is supposed to be the bride and groom standing on the dance floor with a line of people in front of each one waiting to dance with them. They pay thier money and then dance for 20 or 30 seconds. At my wedding my drunken friends all paid thier money and danced with me.

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This, this and this. Also, the DJ should be instruced to feign equipment failure anytime and everytime a guest asks for an open mic. HH

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  20. CAcop

CAcop

We didn't have a DJ at our wedding. We didn't dance let alone a dollar dance. We had a string quartet. Dollar dances are bordering on tacky. Chicken dances are annonying.