Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/suficspi16.pdf

I ran across this interesting report published by the DOJ using 2016 data.
  • DOJ estimates 287,400 convicted criminals used a gun in the commission of their crime.
  • Handguns were by far the most common type of gun.
  • Criminals had stolen it (6%), found it at the scene of the crime and (7%) were obtained "off the street" (43%).
  • Among prisoners who possessed a gun during their offense, 90% did not obtain it from a retail source.
  • 1.3% obtained a gun from a retail shop and 0.8% obtained it from a gun show.
I think it corroborates the impression many of us already had. This is useful info when debating gun control. For the LEO's on our forum, what do you think?

·
NRA4EVR
11,657 Posts
Yep, all of that is correct. They’re criminals - they don’t deal in obeying laws and following procedures for paperwork, background checks and all that. Their lifestyle revolves around doing whatever they can, as long as it’s illegal. Firearms laws are lost on them.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
One part that is impossible to know is how many would use "regular" channels if there was no background check and whether or not that would change how often criminals obtained guns. That there denials (beyond those caused by similar names, etc. that are eventually approved) suggests that a few with criminal records sometimes try a FFL source.

Reactions: BillKilgore

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,827 Posts
Not an LEO, but it will just make leftists that much more ardent to go after all guns, as they have been doing.

Reactions: BillKilgore

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
0.8% obtained it from a gun show

Stupid criminals......................they should be taking advantage of that gun show loophole.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
0.8% obtained it from a gun show

Stupid criminals......................they should be taking advantage of that gun show loophole.
Last year in was at a local gun show with my cousin. While we were walking down the isle, he tripped and fell onto the floor. Without missing a beat, this guy walking by says, You must have got hung up in that damn gun show loophole. I thought it was pretty funny.

·
Registered
29,133 Posts
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/suficspi16.pdf

I ran across this interesting report published by the DOJ using 2016 data.
  • DOJ estimates 287,400 convicted criminals used a gun in the commission of their crime.
  • Handguns were by far the most common type of gun.
  • Criminals had stolen it (6%), found it at the scene of the crime and (7%) were obtained "off the street" (43%).
  • Among prisoners who possessed a gun during their offense, 90% did not obtain it from a retail source.
  • 1.3% obtained a gun from a retail shop and 0.8% obtained it from a gun show.
I think it corroborates the impression many of us already had. This is useful info when debating gun control. For the LEO's on our forum, what do you think?
Personally, meaning NOT as a retired cop, but as a regular citizen ...

I rather suspect that many voters and politicians who dislike inconvenient facts will simply fall back to the position of ... "I reject your facts", and discount whatever they dislike.

Hasn't that been used lately? ;)

Reactions: ScarFace88
1 - 7 of 7 Posts