Dogs not eating!!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Master Chief, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Master Chief

Master Chief

My brother just got an eight month old red nose pit bull, and she hasn't been eating very much. We live in south Texas and it is really hot down here. It seems like all she is doing is lying in the shade all day. Is there anything that we can do to get her to eat more, or is she just not eating because it is so hot? Shoot me the info.

Thanks,
    Master Chief:thumbsup:

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

First of all did you ask a vet?

If you did and there is nothing wrong. Then do you leave food out all day? What kind of food?

Is she drinking water?

3. Master Chief

Master Chief

Well I guess that asking a vet. would be the first thing that I should do, but no I haven't yet. I guess that I didn't think that a vet. would do anything about it. She is drinking alot of water, but I think that is because it's so hot down here. I'll ask our local vet. and see what he has to say about it.

Thanks,
    Master Chief

One's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything. :thumbsup:

4. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, get her to a vet asap. Loss of appetite could be the first sign of a medical issue. If everything is OK then we can go from there. Let me know what happens.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Vet! Then if everything checks out OK there it is probably the heat.

6. mavrick

mavrick

Agreed, talk to vet and go from there.. Good luck and let us know ok?

Cheers

mavrick

7. Master Chief

Master Chief

Ok guys, I asked the vet. about it and he said that it was more than likely a combination of the heat and a food that she wasn't used to. When we got her from her previous owner, I was told that she was eating food from a can. When I got her though, I began to feed her food from a bag. So I tried mixing, the foods and she has been eating it up, so I guess that's what she wanted. She hasn't stopped eating since. Thanks for all of your advice guys, and I will let you know about her in the future if I come across any other problems.

Thanks again,
    Master Chief:thumbsup:

8. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Right on. Just make sure that when you feed the dog that you only leave the food out for a set period of time. About 10 min or so. That will reinforce your position as the pack leader. Even if the food isn't finished, take it away. The pack leader always decides when to eat and how long. Also you should eat first and then feed the dog. Again, the pack leader always eats first. Don't allow the dog in the dining room or at least put the dog in a down stay while you are eating. No begging! Don't allow any aggression either. You are the leader!

9. TapRackBang73

TapRackBang73 Packin Preacher

Kitty is right...my vet told me the other day that a dog will, most of the time, eat only 1/3 of his normal intake during the hottest part of summer.

10. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

DITTO!

The dog learns fast to eat NOW or wait till next time.

My dogs always cut way back on food when it gets hot and suddenly develope an appetite when it starts to get cool.