Doggy likes apples

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by yunone, Jun 27, 2007.

1. yunone

yunone

Apples ok for pooches? My wife and I were eating some fuji apple slices and milo was of course sitting waiting patiently to see if we would offer him some. I gave him half a slice and surprisingly he liked it. He ate total about half an apple. Are fruits bad for dogs? I know its a simple question, might be very junior, but the websearch I did; didn't say bad or good, just if the animal will eat it or not and if their stool gets loose

What do you all think? I know some of you use veggies in your dogs diet.

Thanks in advance

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

As far as I know it really shouldn't do any harm.

Just from a training and behavior point of view, I tend to frown on giving a dog any type of "people food" or treats outside of early training sessions.

3. yunone

yunone

He is our happy housedog and no training needed :). We give him a couple treats a day and was curious if the pro's frowned on using fruits because of the sugar contact

Thanks for your post

4. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I put apples in the veggie-slop I make for my two GSDs. I don't recall reading anything that says they are harmful.

5. TapRackBang73

TapRackBang73 Packin Preacher

I would encourage you to rethink the "no training needed" statement. Training is fun for both you and your dog. He will enjoy it...and so will you. You can do it all yourself. Check out G20's sticky post about dog training...you can learn about everything you need to know there. It will also help you and your dog bond and help him to learn who the alpha is. Have fun!

6. compassman

compassman

Apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)

It's ok to cut the apple up and serve in slices. It's also a good idea to remove seeds from a dogs diet. Domestic dogs don't eat the roughage found in the wild to clean out the digestive system. A occasional seeded fruit will not kill them.