close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

doggy ear ache

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by glocknsail, Nov 12, 2004.

1. glocknsail

glocknsail

Our lab has a yeast infection in her left ear. We have tried the shots and allergy routine, but so far it has not cleared it up with otomax, food change, cleaning ect...

Any suggestions from you folks.....

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

You know, when human females get a yeast infection "down there" the doc tells you to use something that will kill the yeast......
    Something like Micodiazonole or whatever it is called......

The doc also recommends keeping the environment acidic because that keeps the yeast at bay......the reason the yeast basically "explode" is because the area is alkali......

Has the vet talked to you about why the dog is getting yeast infections?? Diabetes will sometimes make yeast to grow, and human women with diabetes are more prone to yeast infections. Does your dog have diabetes??

3. glocknsail

glocknsail

Let me look into that. Doggy Atkins diet but she is not fat at all. Thanks, as I did not think of that.

4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

I wish you luck.

I've had problems almost each year in Spring or Fall with my lab/shep's (floppy) ears.

I clean them weekly or bi weekly, but sometimes it still gets out of control.

This year seems better, I'm not sure why.

When his ears really get out of control the vet has to take a culture and then prescribe something based on the results. Often it is a yeast infection.

One year it got so bad he had to have surgery on one ear. Things did improve after that. Maybe the vet did something to make it ventilate better to cut down on the humidity. I'm not sure.

I love that dog, but the next one will have ears that stand up!

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥