Dog won't stop licking his paws...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by TheDog21, Feb 20, 2007.

1. TheDog21

TheDog21

My dog Murphy won't stop licking his front paws...he has a sore on each paw now near the back of his main pad (his palm if you would). I know it has been cold (obviously) and my yard is essentially a snowy ice rink...does the cold play any part of that and how do I get him to stop constantly licking his paws and make the sores even worse? Thanks all for any advice.

2. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

My vet told me that a dog will lick his paws if he is allergic to something or cannot scratch an area that itches etc. Sometimes dogs can be allergic to fleas where only one or two bites will cause very bad itching. My Golden Retreiver was highly allergic to all sorts of things including pollen and grass. He licked his paws and also bit them until they turned into hot spots. The vet would give him a shot of cortizone and it would fix the problem for a couple of weeks but you have to be careful with that too.

Give him a bath and a benadryl and I bet he will stop. Benadryl is ok to give to dogs and it will help with allergic reactions. Check with your vet first though just to be sure.

3. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

This calls for a trip to the vet. Like the above poster said, he can be having an allergic reaction to something. Since it's winter and people like to throw salt down, this can effect their paws as well. If he has open sores, he can actually make them worse by licking excessively.

4. TheDog21

TheDog21

Thanks guys that's what I was afraid of, we've got an appointment tomorrow

5. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

Some working dogs ( Leader Dogs For The Blind etc.) sometimes wear boot if they are outdoors for long periods. I've got a dachshund that has trouble going for walks when it's winter here in Mich. Last week we had snow, ice and double digits below zero. I just heard of this place for dog boots: www.fidofleece.com

If anyone knows a better place, I'd like to know.
    Good Luck!

6. Criphunter44

Criphunter44 Guest

Try some ketchup on his scrotum, He'll forget about his paws!:banana: :rofl:

Sorry couldn't resist, His paws may be getting cut from the crusty snow/ice. My Uncle's dog would cut his pads that way and he would slap some "Bag Balm" on them and tape sock so he couldn't lick it off. (in case you've never heard of it, bag balm is lotion farmers use on a cows udder that has become chapped from milking.)

7. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I could do that to my male dachshund's.......things:)

8. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I could use that on my male dachshund's "luggage" after he drags them through the snow:)

9. Frost

Frost

Different situation but here is some information for future reference.

We have a blue doberman with all the skin problems that go with a blue. Molly would lick her leg until she got a sore from the licking. We changed her feed several times finally settling on Solid Gold Hundenflocken which helped a bit but didn't solve the problem. We tried bitter lime/apple around the area no help at all. Vet gave us some topical solution that did no good. We tried bandages they always wound up chewed off. Finally the vet put her on Prozac and that did the trick. Miss Molly no longer licks her paw to the point of creating sores. We took her completely off the Prozac and she was fine for a while but started back so she is back on Prozac. She is not lonely and bored as she has a 8 month old Great Dane companion that keeps her busy.

So if you have companion with lick sore granuloma don't hesitate to ask for Prozac.

10. mavrick

mavrick

For what it's worth.. One of our shepherds had "lick sores" as well. Usually, not always, but usually this is what happenes, they start to itch due to an allergic or adversy reaction to something. It could be an allergy, and ingredient in food, a scratch or scrape, fleas, ticks, whatever.. so they start licking.. if they lick enough, they actually begin to drive the tips of their fur back into their skin and becomes a catch 22.. they itch, they lick.. the licking makes it itch more.. so they lick more.. round and round.. The end result obviously is continued licking, sores on the skin and infections.. More often than not, a lick sore will be treated with a steroid of some sort.. topical or otherwise to help stop the itching.. and an antibiotic to fight infection if there is one.

Anyway, the bottom line is, once they start licking to the point of creating bald spots and sores.. it's definitly time to go see a vet.

mavrick

11. oldgun

oldgun

Our little female beagle did the same thing and was licking her paws constantly. Recently my wife read it could be a food allergy as many dogs are allergic to corn, so we switched my dogs diet from Kibbles and Bits (which has corn in it) to a dogfood with lamb and rice and no corn. So far, she has all but stopped licking and chewing her feet.

12. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Please please please never feed your dog Kibble n bits again. That is one of the worse foods you can give your dog. If money is tight I would switch to Diamond Naturals, it is 10X better and the cost is about the same. But be sure to get the "Naturals" since just regular Diamond is close to Kibbles n Bits.

13. narine2541

narine2541 marine2541

My English Springer Spanial, KC, licks his paws constantly. He's allergic to something on the grass and he will lick it until it forms a sore. We have to occasionally take him to the vet and get cortisone for him so the paws heal. The vet says broad test for what he's allergic to are really useless. He recommends over the counter antihistamines. Also, if snow gets stuck between your dog's paws when he go outside, just take it off his paws or get him little boots for a walk.