close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dog Whisperer

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by DEUCE-DOBE, Jan 31, 2005.

1. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Get onto the National Geographic Channel and find this series. His name is Caesar Millan.

This guy is NOT a whacko... he corrects negative dog behaviors using dog psychology. He runs a dog rescue center, or something like that in/around LA. Has a PACK of 30+ dogs that live together in one big 'yard'; pits, dobermans, rotts, gsd, poodles, etc. etc. and these dogs were all given-up because of problem behaviors.

I'm talking this guy pulls-off miracles. From aggression to pulling while walking... this guy will have an answer to your concerns... just watch a few episodes, as he 'solves' any conceivable problem behavior... and tells the people how to do it themselves.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I am pretty sure I know that show....this is him, right?
    [​IMG]

The guy seemed pretty normal -- right up until the moment he picked a fight with a 100+ pound GS-type dog that had some serious aggression issues. Here he was, maybe ten minutes into the show, turning himself into a walking Scooby Snack. He got himself bitten several times in the course of that episode, too.

What is he trying to do, use some sort of "Hyper-Alpha" intimidation tactics to cow the dogs into fearing his retribution for any disobedience or something?

Now, if that's not the guy you meant then I apologize for even bringing this individual into the thread.

Maybe I am just prejudiced against such 'trainers' because anyone who cares to learn can accomplish the same - OR BETTER - results with any non-psychotic dog just by gently - but firmly - pinning it until it stops struggling, then repeating as necessary and always being positive with the dog, giving praise whenever possible.

Yes, my technique is gentler, and it may take longer to 'fix' the messed-up mongrel's behavior. I am willing to trade a longer 'course of study' for assurance that I will not cause even more distress in a mistreated, traumatized and overly-defensive pooch.

My very roughest techniques of wrestling with a dog for his acceptance of my Alpha status are far more humane and positive than even his lightest method appears to be.

I'll wager I bleed a lot less, too!

And I would like to offer one final thought for consideration here: What percentage of these segments do you suppose will NEVER get aired because the dogs were driven into a frenzy by his treatment of them? Logic and marketing dictate that we will see only the success stories.

"Do Not Attempt His Techniques", indeed.

3. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Yep, that's the guy.

The point I'm making is that most of the animals he deals with have seen numerous trainers, and he seems to be the last resort. Of course, you're seeing the success cases...

HOWEVER, how in the heck does he get his 'pack' to behave so well? Especially considering the animals he deals with (rescue dogs with MAJOR behavioral issues - human and/or dog aggression)?!?!

However you look at it, what he does works... and unless you know the full background on the dogs he works with, its hard to "what if" or play monday morning quarterback. The guy knows what he's doing... otherwise, the point of the show would be moot.

I've seen him make dogs submit by holding them down before and some other methods as well. He doesn't necessarily use ONE tactic for all purposes.

Anyway, I believe the show gets a thumbs-up. Just follow the disclaimer.

4. PhiKappaTauOx

PhiKappaTauOx Meat Popsicle

i, too, love this show. i don't think i have ever seen him use "negative reinforcement" on any of the dogs. he's always using food to positively reinforce the dogs' behavior.

i try to watch it as much as i can. you never know when the info will come in handy ;)