close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dog urinating in house

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by hotspada, Apr 27, 2006.

1. hotspada

hotspada

I have a 2 year old german shorthair pointer. he is a very very well trained dog. he is an excellent hunting dog as well as a family dog and great with people. i got him at 8 weeks, and within a couple weeks he was housebroken and we never EVER had an issue with him going pee in the house.

lately i have been coming home to a slight urination in the house by the dog. its not usally the same places, there a number of places that he visits. and the odd part is, it doesnt even seem like a full urination, more of a sprinkle or spray. he is not nuedered as we will breed him.

my dog, his name is buck, is very very people oriented. always following someone and LIVES off of attention. you cant sit in the same room without him coming up and nudging you to pet him, and he wont leave yo alone either till ya do. he hates when people ignore him.

i have come up with two things.....either...for some reason he is not disliking being home alone during the day or hes not getting enough attention and peeing around the house as a way of showing anger.

the second is much diff. lately, he has become much more defensive of the house. he now barks when it gets late at night and people are walking by. if he hears anything he jumps right up and is at the window, if he hears sirens...he goes out and bays at the sound. he is much more defensive then he used to be about the house and us late at night, so im thnking maybe he thinks the house is his property and his spraying to mark it. anyhow...its getting annoying either way...any ideas

2. hotspada

hotspada

3. HarlDane

HarlDane

Without altering him, it will be hard to get him to stop marking.

Bingo, according to him, you are a guest in his home, and his marking is his way of letting you know it.

4. hotspada

hotspada

thats what i thought. i caught him a little while ago and got the BAD DOG voice and put him out back for long time. well see if it happens again

5. HarlDane

HarlDane

Thats your best bet. Stay on top of him, and let him know he is in YOUR house, and bad behavior is not tolerated. My 10 month old Great Dane has not started marking yet, and I hope he dosen't before he is fixed this fall. Good luck.

6. HarlDane

HarlDane

One more thing. Clean the areas he has marked in the house with an enzyme urine odor remover. Dogs will mark areas that smell like urine, their own or other dogs. Do not use an ammonia based cleaner, because urine breaks down into ammonia, and don't use normal household cleaners as most are not strong enough to remove the smell enough for a dogs powerfull nose. There are products available in most pet stores.

7. socalsteve

socalsteve

Buck is marking his territory - letting all the world know he is part of your pack.

My male Basset Hound occasionally does the same thing - it drives me crazy!

He was already around a year old (maybe older?) when we got him and then we waited a few months to get him fixed. I would neuter a male dog as early as the Vet. will allow.

I think (hope,pray) that with our Basset this is an "Alpha dog" thing. Our oldest Basset, a male, had to be put to sleep a few months back and our second Basset, a female, is blind from glaucoma so this dog the youngest, is starting to act dominant.

We leash him in the kitchen so he only has around 8 feet of leash at night when we go to sleep. Enough to sleep on his bed and reach the water bowl. Whenever we remember to leash him there is no problem, when we forget occasionally he will mark a spot. Oh, we have a doggie door so he can always go out - except when we "leash" him at night.

Let us know if any experts know of a way to break this behaivor. We have never caught him in the act which makes it harder.

8. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

First give up the notion the dog is "trained". Peeing in the house is UNACCEPTABLE and an Alpha will not tolerate it. Get some professional help and in the meantime use this.
    [​IMG]

9. socalsteve

socalsteve

G20man

When he is tied up at night there is no problem. So we don't need the carrier. We did get him when he was a little older - he obviously was not trained when we got him (stray dog - long story).

During the day (and night) we let the two dogs roam the yard (entirely fenced) there is a doggie door that they can use to go in and out the kitchen which we seldom lock shut (only when we need to keep them in or out due to construction or something). We block the other rooms off when we are gone so the dogs have the kitchen as their sleeping and eating room. Its pretty good sized at 25' by 19'

We have had this dog for about 3 years and it was just the last few months that this started happening. And not every night. He is just marking - it is not a full large pee - you know they leave a small piddle at the corner or things. Still not acceptable I agree but the main problem is we never catch him in the act! We could leave him outside all day and night but with the other Basset being a few years older and blind from glaucoma we really don't want to do that - escp. during the winter rainey months in California.

I'm really thinking it was a "I will be alpha dog" thing that started when our oldest basset got ill and had to be put to sleep. But, I admit to not being a dog expert. Since we have not yet caught him in the act i do not know what else to do besides the leashing him at night which is working for now.

10. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

You need the crate to "reclaim" your Alpha status. That's why I suggested it.
    It sounds like an alpha problem that can be solved by you becoming the Alpha ie putting him in the crate at night (at least).

Look at it this way, it is a temp. problem and a crate is a temp. solution.;)

11. socalsteve

socalsteve

So you think a crate (we do have one of the older wire looking ones that fold flat) will be better than tying him up?

I take both dogs out before I go to sleep at night even though they have the doggie door (mostly for the older blind dog). The younger dog goes in & out on his own all the time so I know he could go outside if he wanted to.

I have to admit when he is tied up it doesn't happen at all. I wish we could catch him in the act instead of waking up to it. Then I think he would associate the crate better with the reprimand that caught him in the act. I have heard that if you don't catch a dog while it is misbehaiving it will not know what you are trying to reprimand it for. I have heard/read that even if you try as little as 5 minutes later the dog won't associate the reprimand with the bad behaivor. Just what I heard/read.

One of these months we will try letting him sleep without being tied up and see if he has quit this behaivor.

12. Armed&Feminine

Armed&Feminine Adhuc vivo!

Please, use the crate and not the leash. The leash has the potential to be dangerous.

I would also consider having his urine checked. While it is not as likely, if he has a medical problem all the behavior training in the world will not help.

13. Armed&Feminine

Yes, the crate is better than tying him up. You don't want him to associate the crate with any punishment though. You want to make it his safe "den". The crate should be a positive experience.

And yes, if you don't catch him misbehaving then you can't really punish him for it. He won't know what you are yelling at him for. What he will know is that when you come home you yell at him, and your arrival at home will no longer be a positive thing.

14. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

:goodpost:
    Your good! :)

15. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

16. socalsteve

socalsteve

Thanks for the replys.

Prize (thats his name short for surprize - long story on how we came to have him) definetly loves it when I get home. He is super excited. It takes about ten minutes of petting and fetch to calm him down. Its sad because he used to play a lot with our female basset but since she went blind she doesn't play as much - she will occasionally but Prize gets so excited that she can't keep up. I should mention that although they look like bassets they may be "mixed" since they were both rescue dogs. They definetly have more energy than our original basset

The leash I use is actually a ten foot horse lead that I clip to his collar. I don't think there is any chance he will hurt himself since we only use this at night and there is no way to get it tangled up in the kitchen.

We don't tie him during the day although twice we found markings in the kitchen when we got home from work. All the rest of the time it was a nightime occurance.

One thing I should mention, even though we had Prize neutured, he still gets "excited" and he gets that "knot" if you know what I mean.
    We don't know how old he was when we got him (guessing apprx. 1 yr). So maybe he got neutured too late?

We do have other animals (cats) they get along well but maybe with the older dog being gone and a new cat his instincts to mark his territory set in?

Thanks again.

17. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Steve,
    When you come home, IGNORE the dog for 10-15mins until you are settled, then pet, play fetch. This will go a long way towards you becoming the Alpha.

You asked how to solve a urination problem and were given an answer. If you choose not to take the advice (which is certainly your prerogative) then the problem may not ever be solved.
    The leash is long enough that he can urinate and not have to lay in it. That is the reason for the crate.

Yes the Alpha is gone, so that is most likely why he is marking. However, if you become the Alpha, this will also stop the marking. :)

A&F
    Did I miss anything?;)

18. socalsteve

socalsteve

Only that he doesn't urinate when he is on the leash at least he hasn't so far. That is why I don't think we need the crate. If he did urinate when on the leash then he will go in the crate for sure.

Only when he is loose does he urinate.

I'll try making him wait 10 minutes when I get home. Sometimes I get changed first but I usually do not make him wait 10 or 15 minutes.

19. Armed&Feminine

:bowdown: :bowdown: Back at you G20man32904

socalsteve, G20man32904 is spot on. If you can train him to sit and stay when you come home that would be great. It would give you the opportunity to clip a leash on him and take him outside to the bathroom, but like G20man32904 said, no real playtime for 10-15 min. In addition, you should engage him only when you want to. If he brings you the ball and you don't want to play then simply ignore him.

My issue with the leash is that it really does have the potential for danger. The crate will help you assert your Alpha status along with keeping him safer than on the leash. In addition, since dogs are naturally den animals, a crate will give him a place that is all his own. Eventually you will look for him and he will be peacefully sleeping in the crate all on his own.

He wasn't neutered too late. Most male dogs will retain secondary sex characteristics even after neutering (this includes behavioral characteristics). Even if he had been neutered before developing the behavioral characteristics it is still possible that he would pick them up years later.

20. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

If he has a bladder infection or anything, like a previous poster said, training wont due you any good. My dog has something similar now. He is going randomly sometimes, when he does get happy, he'll drip along the way to wherever he's going and sometimes at night, he'll go in his sleep without even knowing it. They cultured something on his urine specamin which he wizzed all over my arm (i managed to get just enough in the cup). He is on antibiotics now, and doing much better.