dog shedding ....any tips ? !

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by wallyglock, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wallyglock

wallyglock

one large akita that sheds a LOT.
    2 brushing sessions a day and very time consuming. have went thru this since we have owned her, but his year seems really bad.

i am a single person household and looking for and need ways to expand my times to cover all the daily needs.

is there anything i can do to lessen this problem or at least cit down on her shedding so much ?:dunno:

i have a good herbal spray that seems to help a little but the stuff is expensive and i only use it on her twice a week or so.

any sensible and simple solutions would be appreciated ! :wavey:

thanks wally

2. Milky

Milky

Have you tried the Furminator? It made a HUGE difference on our GSDs.

Koba likes this.

3. Platz

Platz

http://furminator.com/

Diet can play a big role in shedding as well. The better quality the food, the less shedding.

4. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

huge plus 1 for furminator!!! Works wonders on my GSD/Dobe mix! Only time it didn't really work, the weather went from 60s to 90's, so he needed to shed a lil! :D
    Red

5. wallyglock

wallyglock

for $45 and picked one up.....well it was $51 shipped.

have used it a couple of times and it does great.

2 things good about it:
    1 it gets the coat "clean" and looks like a much better job overall of brushing
    2 the brush itself is very easy to clean out the fur from

i am down to one brushing a day instead of two and that saves me time and makes me happy :supergrin:

wally

6. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I just brush daily (sometimes more than once!) when mine is blowing is coat. Can't justify the cost of a Furminator on my current budget...but one day soon. :rofl:

I've not been on GT in a while, Wally, glad to see you're doing well enough to ask about grooming! :supergrin:

7. wallyglock

wallyglock

thanks for the good words....

yeah, i am still around with some very full days......caring for t he animals, all the food prep and my job ect.

last evening i decided to get in a good bike ride. blew a tube 2 miles out , walked the bike back home , repaired the rear blown tube and got back on the bike and did my 8 miles as planned. my legs were burning pretty good when i finished....:steamed:

but i finally got some food fixed and the dog brushed about 8 pm. somedays those are typical circumstances !

good luck to all and take care of all your pets and yourselfs !:wavey:

wally

8. vafish

vafish

9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Depending on the size of your dog you can give him fish oil capsuls. My Lab gets three large capsuls a day with his meal. He weighs about 85 pounds. The vet said to give him one capsul a day for every 25 pounds of dog weight. Start with one capsul and work your way up to the max dose over a few weeks.\\

Just buy the large jars at Sams or Costco....they are cheap enough.

It won't eliminate shedding but it helped cut down on it by about 50% with my Labrador. Also makes his coat shiney.

10. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Spend the day fishing a creek surrounded by blackberry bushes. No leash on the dog. She will look like she has been to the groomer. All day. Not just a couple hours. Let the bushes do the work.