Dog Parks

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by mike1969, Oct 2, 2007.

1. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

So I know ya'll(yeah Im southern so what) probably take your pooches to the park, but what about a dog park?? There is a huge one here in Jacksonville, behind the Dave and Busters. I took Maggie there yesterday, and she had a blast. I practically had to drag her from there. She didnt want to leave.

And the way the park is set up, is there a little area, for small dogs. A medium sized for well, medium doggies. And then there is a huge area for dogs of all sizes, a agility course, and a picnic area the dogs can be with you also. Theres also some nature trails, but I have yet to explore them.

You can always tell when a new dog arrives, because the dog shows up like 5 minutes before the owners do. That is how big the large area is. I mean I think the park is over 25 acres. When most of the dogs find out there is beachsand and a lake that they can swim in, they go all crazy. Funny to watch them pack up and greet a new dog. Of course then its time for 30 dogs to chase one, literally 30 or so were chasing a boston terrier who ran like a rabbit. Its also funny to watch 15 dogs chase the same ball.

The park actually provides tennis balls, and of course poopie bags. It was a little pricey($11), but to know she had a blast was well worth it. And certain days of the month they have breed specific days where the price is half.

At one point Maggie was covered in mud due her and about 4 other dogs trying to dig a canyon. It took me forever to try and fill that hole in. I would have took some pictures but it was raining, but that didnt seem to stop the pooches at all.

2. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Miracles Happen

There are a couple of really nice dog parks here in Central Florida - nothing as big as you describe there in Jax. Molly LOVES to go and "meet" everyone new. I think its great for her confidence and socialization. We have only met "bad dogs" once - a shephard mix that had MAJOR aggression issues and tried to bite anything/everyone. The owner was a young guy who had no clue. I passed along the number for the local dog training group.

The BEST thing about th dog park is that Molly gets so tired from running & playing for so long that she SLEEPS REALLY well!!!

3. Samson

Samson

Yup, Samson and Delilah love the dog park.

The only thing to watch out for is the 'owner' (as well as the dog) that is not very responsible for his/her dog's actions. And, there's always one. An aggressive dog should be controlled. But worse is the owner that just ignores what their dog is doing until something bad happens. Then, they're shocked that their dog could actually be causing a problem.. :upeyes:

Otherwise, it's a great play area, great socialization, etc...

And, (like said above): when they come home, they are TIRED and SLEEP!!!!

:supergrin:

4. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Yes you mention the best: TIRED AND SLEEPY. That is good.

5. hotlunch

hotlunch

Can, and does, socializing a dog at a dog park lead to the increase of infectious diseases? I know it's a dumb question, but it is my one concern and wondered if anyone has noticed that this is a problem or not.

6. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

As long as your dog has all it's shots, you shouldn't have any problems. If there is a bite that breaks the skin, then you should probably at least call your vet to see what they think.

Dog parks are great as a REWARD, but they should never be a substitute for a proper walk.

Dog parks are also great for training. If you can got your dog to heal and come with all those other dogs around, then you can pretty much trust that dog in any situation. Use the off leash time as a reward. Have the dog spend 10 min on the leash being good, no pulling etc...and then give him 20 min to run free and repeat.

7. hotlunch

hotlunch

Cool advice, thanks. I was just wondering about the dog park equivalent of "Kennel Cough" type of thing. The one time my dog (ages ago) spent a few days at the vet for her slice and dice she came home with a pretty nasty ear infection and skin infection. Granted, I can't prove she got those infections there, but she never got such things any other time during her life. So I just didn't know if dogs could easily pass pathogens to each other or not. It sucked having to give her ear drops and pills, neither of which she wanted to take.

8. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about it too much at the dog park. the only thing you need to watch out for, and this is more for you then the dog, is if the dog finds something nice and smelly. Dogs LOOOOVE to lay down and rub themselves on dead animals and things of that nature. You should make it a habit to at least always have an old towel in the car with you so you can wipe things off of your dog. then once you get home give the dog a quick bath.

One more thing I need to add here. If there is a fight at the dog park and one dog comes away bleeding. It may be requied by state or local law that you call the police and/or animal control. Make sure you look into that just in case. A quick call to your local animal control agency should help clear that up.

9. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Most of the parks here have rules against aggresive or sick dogs. And poop. Poop can harbor disease, so its always a good thing to clean yours up. Even if the dog has nothing wrong with it. nobody wants to go somewhere and step in piles of doo-doo. I saw a lady Sunday let her 3 dachsunds poop in the main trail to the doggy beach, did she clean the piles?? No but I was a good citizen and did it. That happened when I was leaving.

So it is a good idea to have all the shots update too!!!...

10. speck

speck

Our local dog park requires that aggressive dogs be removed immediateliy. No dogs under 4 months old, which is when puppies get their final vaccinations, and you must pick up your poop by law.

Unfortunately, we also have a couple of "Dog park nazis" that sneer at anyone whose dog likes to play a bit rough, and think all pit bulls (and dogs they think are pittbulls, like american bulldogs and amstaffs...) should be banned from the park. One has a Westie that is aggressive towards any dog that wants to play with it, but is otherwise well behaved and the other has a black lab that, while very well trained, doesn't ... for lack of a better word, communicate ... like a dog. Sure, it'll heel and fetch and she can walk it off-leash outside of the fenced area, but it doesn't have any idea what to do when another dog walks up to it and tries to dominate it or be submissive to it, and the owner has no reaction 'cept to shoo other dogs away.

The dogs are great, but the people sometimes can make the park miserable!

11. Samson

Samson

So True!!

12. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I can't take my boy to a dog park. Bosco's an alpha, and HATES other dogs.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

13. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Absolutely agree. People are worse than dogs because dogs usually don't know any better but people SHOULD.

There is a nice park in my AO which has a pen for the beach, a dry pen for small dogs, and then a dry pen for large dogs. I was playing fetch with my two GSDs on the beach side... This couple with their two kids (probably 1.5 and 4 years old I'm guessing) walk over to about 15 feet to my right. After a while, the mother puts the 1.5 year kid down...he waddles straight head to the edge of the water, about 20 feet in front of mom, ALONE. Mom just stood there and watched, like it was so cute and all. Meanwhile, on the other side of mom from me were two Great Danes and a bevy of other dogs chasing each other. I just stared at her, hoping she would turn around and make eye-contact so I can tell her that her kid will probably get run over. She didn't turn around. I didn't want to be around when the kid gets hurt so I went to the dry pen. Because of people's perception of "Park Nazis", I've learned to keep my mouth shut and just move away.

Another time, I'm playing fetch with one of my dogs. She loves to just hold her water buoy in her mouth and trot around proudly - after all, she is a German Shepherd. As she is weaving through a small gaggle of people, this 11 year old kid reaches down to try to grab the buoy out of my dog's mouth. I immediately yelled at the kid, "Hey don't grab her toy; please don't try to take her toy." The near-by parents heard me, turned to me and gave me a dirty look. NICE PARENTS! I know my dogs wouldn't do anything negative but I still don't want to take the chance.

So, along with the other good advice offered here, I would add to just watch out for stupid parents and their kids. A lot of parents will even let little kids run in the park. One of these days a dog with a high prey-drive and no training is going to see that running kid as a large rabbit.

14. Broylz

Broylz

We used to take our GSD and Pommernian to the Dog Beach in Fort Myers FL and moved to Tacoma WA since. The dog park here is pretty good too but nothing like swimming with your GSD in the ocean. i am moving to KY in a month. i hope i can find a place near fort campbell.

i think it is a great thing for the dogs. running 2-3 miles with Gunnar, my GSD, doesnt seem to be enough all the time so i let him run for awhile. its an awesome place to meet people with like breeds so they can all run together. there are about 12-15 different GSDs here and we all manage to get together a couple times a month.

ive never had any communicable disease issues but i will agree that there is always one @$$ who shouldnt be bringing their dog there, if able to own one at all.

15. Frost

Frost

The thing about dog parks that worries me is fleas.

We have 0 ZERO fleas and don't want any.

Years ago we had neighbors who didn't take care of their dogs and and had rabbits. OMFG the flea problem was intolerable.

When they finally got evicted I declared war on fleas and won.

I used to treat my yard and as much of theirs as I could reach.

16. Tazlima

Tazlima

Fleas on the dogs, roundworm eggs in the poop, among other things. Yes, you're taking a risk going there. No denying it. Generally though, it's not going to be anything terribly serious. Vaccinations will protect your animal from the more serious contagious diseases (bordetella included), and some Frontline or Advantage or even a well-timed capstar will take care of the fleas before they can become a problem. Roundworms are easily dispatched if they occur.

The worst thing I can think of right now that's relatively common, very contagious, and not preventable that you could get at a dog part would be Sarcoptic mange, which can be transmitted to humans and is then rechristianed "scabies."

That would totally suck, but it still won't kill you or your dog (though it's incredibly itchy).

That said, I personally think it's well worth the risk, and treat my dogs to a dog park visit every week or so.

Edit: Forgot to mention ringworm, dogs and people can both get that too.

17. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

I just took Maggie to the park near the beach earlier and she acted like a another crazy dog like all the other ones. I discovered why the dog parks make you take the leash off when you get inside. I watched, a lady bring a cockerspaniel and proceed to walk it through the gate, a pair of happy looking dogs came up to say hi and a fight almost ensued. She walked the dog around like nothing happened.

Then her dog, still leashed almost attacks my dog, at that point I packed up and left. Her dog was aggressive. She should have immediately turned around and left.

18. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Someone mentioned the fleas. OMG. My last dog had probably 3 or 4 on him when he died. I used to sit down with him and make sure he had none on him. I also used the flea meds religiously once a month on him. He had them bad when I first got him. I also sprayed the yard for fleas and the house also.

Maggie had them when I first took her home from the Humane Society. For some reason the Frontline didnt really have a effect on them on her. But the Advantage has made them almost none existent.

I hate the feeling of the fleas jumping on me and I went fullscale warfare on them also. I went nuts spraying everywhere I thought they would be. She might have some now, but those will probably get picked off her when I sit down for her brushing tonight.

19. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

On the edge of town in Houston we have the Millie Bush Bark Park. It's free and it isn't all that large but it has two ponds, low drinking fountain/dishes for the dogs and a separate small dog area and larger area for all sizes. My dogs love going there.

20. Frost

Frost

Being from the Deep South myself I thought it my duty to correct your spelling.
    It's a common mistake.

It is y'all not ya'll.
    The apostrophe takes the place of letters that are taken out of the word you.