Dog Owners need to know about AIHA (cats rarely).

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by dubyah, Sep 12, 2007.

1. dubyah

dubyah .-. .- -- -...O

I put this in Non Glocking and gotglock1917 smartly suggested I put it here in case anyone might benefit.
    Regards,
    JW and Rambo!

Original Post:
    Rambo is an incredibly healthy 7 year old Shih Tzu.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.rambo.us

Last Thursday he was tired.

Friday he laid down several times on his walk.

Saturday AM I had to carry him home from his morning walk.
    1PM at a state of the art vet hospital, Dr. Terry Ford's North Dallas Veterinary Hospital, diagnosed with AIHA.
    Saturday night in ER for transfusion.

AIHA, Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, strikes without known cause when the autoimmune system is overstimulated and begins rapidly attacking and destroying red blood cells. IMMEDIATE response is required.

Rambo's was caught by immediate blood test and PCV, packed count value, of red blood cells. Normal is 40-55, Rambo's was 11, then 10 now back to 26 after the transfusion. The same night Rambo was in the ER another dog was in for the same thing; it is rare but occurs.

Also, if you want to have lots of cash ready get a no interest line of credit for expensive medical work at http://www.carecredit.com good at many vets and human health care facilities. Unlike human ER most animal ER requires immediate proof of payment for treatment. Even if you are a gazillionaire this shows them they'll get theirs.

Rambo is not out of the woods but progressing well with agressive treatment. This disease often strikes are kills healthy dogs in a few days without treatment.
    FYI

2. zeke501

zeke501

I had a GSD that died of this in july of 05. Zeke lived about 3 weeks after I took him to the vet. If they start to act tired or lathargic,and won't eat, get them to the vet. He was 10 yrs. old but did not expect him to go for a few more years. I miss him lot, but I now have another GSD, Smokey, and he is my best bud!!

3. dubyah

dubyah .-. .- -- -...O

zeke501, glad to hear about your buddy Smokey and sorry about Zeke.