Dog keeps peeing in my house...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by G-34, May 16, 2015.

1. G-34

G-34

On my couch, on my floors, everywhere. He poops on my floors too.

He is 6 months old and is apperantly thinks he can just do whatever he wants. He just has the "eff you mentality".

I'm at my wits end and about to employ the 3 S treatment.

Just to add, he knows when to go to the door to let us know to let him out. But he is apperantly too lazy to do so when we are not in the room, so at that point he pops a squat and does his business.

I'm at my wits end with this foul creature.

It's my wife's dog and all she does is mollycoddle this dirty mutt.

"That's what dogs do" she says. Bull effing excrement. Getting rid of it or putting it outside permanently won't fly.

Any advice is appreciated

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Crate training , Google it, keep him confined or on a lead until you get him Doing what you want. The dog is Esther really stupid, or really smart

3. G-34

G-34

I keep thinking he's doing it out of spite. But I have to stop myself and tell myself. It's a animal it can't possibly form cognitive thoughts that are that out of reach for a dog. It just doesn't have the ability

So then I just spank the day lights out of him, rub his nose in it and throw him outside.

Crate him and he whines to no end, affecting my sleep and job performance. And again the wife says whining "is what dogs do" and just blows it off.

I'm ready to shoot him, get rid of him, or take his tags off and drop him off out of town or at a shelter. Either way this dogs days are numbered

4. Mayhem like Me

Read the articles on crate training do not spank him. Only positive reinforcement when you catch and going to the bathroom outside

5. 2bgop

2bgop

Where is the dog when you are not at home? Also, there are one pretty smart dog guys in the Okie Corral. Several are professional trainers.

6. G-34

G-34

When not home he is crated

7. 2bgop

2bgop

I just read this, I missed it the first time. If you honestly do that, you do need to give the dog to someone with a brain.

8. G-34

G-34

Thanks for adding nothing to the thread. How else is he suppose to learn. It's not like he can understand my words like you or I can. Just to add, I'm all for getting rid of it

9. 2bgop

2bgop

I have fostered and trained more shelter dogs over the years than I can remember. I am not a professional trainer, but I have owned a vet clinic and have years of experience with dogs. I am honestly telling you, if you ever thought beating and rubbing a puppy's nose in pee would help house train them, you should not own a dog.

Please take your OP and post in the Okie Corral. There are people who have a lot of experience.

10. G-34

G-34

First off. It's the wife's dog. Second, spanking and beating are two totally different things. I never said I "beat" the dog.

This is the appropriate thread for animals. But I will move it if it helps get exposure

To my final point, with all your experience, what do you suggest I do to get his attention other than spank him...?

Edit to add. Positive reinforcement (months of it) does not seem to have any positive effect on behavior

11. tom mac

tom mac

Heck... you a better guy than me... that dog would have lived OUTSIDE after the second time.

IMO, dogs are dogs, not children like many think.

12. G-34

G-34

Amen! This may be the solution. I just need to finish fencing off the back yard.

13. 2bgop

2bgop

First, you said spank the day lights out of him, which isn't ever going to work, regardless of the degree which you apply it.

Second, anyone dumb enough to think rubbing a puppy's nose in pee is going to encourage the response they claim they want is beyond my help. I do not have a knowledge base to begin to explain the damage you are doing.

Other than post in the main forum and asking for some advice, I would say just google, "rubbing a puppy's nose in pee" or something similar and see what you get. I am willing to bet you will a trend in the search results.

14. G-34

G-34

calling people that employ this method "dumb" isn't helping the matter at all, and is likely a TOS violation.

15. 2bgop

2bgop

Dumb was the kindest word I could come up with.

I am going to try and be helpful. Are you anywhere near Fargo?

16. G-34

G-34

Minot

17. Mayhem like Me

Since you have already trained him to sneak pee and crap in the house you have to train that out of him.

See the many available hits on the Internet for house training your dog, all involve a small crate when gone and CONSTANT. Supervision when not crated , you have to take him outside use the word potty or outside when you see him doing it and praise him, that will be tough since he thinks you will chase him down hit him and rub his nose in it.

18. 2bgop

2bgop

That is a long way from Fargo, but I know someone who says that this no kill shelter is a good organization. They may have a system to get the puppy to Fargo, my organizations have volunteers who help with transport. Maybe they could meet you part way or something.

4 Luv of Dog Rescue
    3037 13th Ave S
    Fargo, ND 58103
    (701) 205-0190

If they can't work out the transport, there is a no kill shelter in Manden. I don't know anything about them, but they are closer. I would say the other one is a better place, but I honestly can't say for sure.

2104 37th Street
    Mandan, North Dakota 58554
    701-667-2020

I have worked with dozens of organizations like these. They typically will take a puppy like this and place them in a foster home for a few weeks, while there they will get some basic training and socialization to help with the transition to a new home. With it being a 6 month puppy, it should find a home without too much trouble. The younger the dog, all else being equal, they faster they will be adopted.

19. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

Don't let folks like this GT'er get to you. They spout off their garbage just to get a response, don't play their stupid games.

Now you wait and watch; he'll get me next. :rofl:

And I'm just going to ignore him. It'll eat him up, because even though he sees me chatting with you, I'll not lower myself to his level.

BTW, a rolled-up-newspaper is what I've used to train my dogs. Sounds like you're killing the mutt, but what you're doing is merely conditioning the dog to avoid the behavior that results in a newspaper spanking.

Positive reinforcement works too, absolutely, when he does what you want, thank him for it, but I found that the mutt doesn't do the right behavior enough. But I know the mutt is gonna do the incorrect behavior enough to associate the newspaper spanking with the inappropriate behavior. It works. It worked on my two sons, too. I didn't ever beat my boys, but when a spanking was called for - they got it. Now, both are college grads, have successful jobs, love their wives and each has given me a GRANDSON.

In my case, you can't argue with success.

20. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

positive reinforcement. treat and a lot of praise when he does it outside. silent treatment when he does it inside.