close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dog is eating grass

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by plainsman, Apr 11, 2006.

1. plainsman

plainsman

2 year old sheppard just seemed to start doing it, also noticed in his stool that he has been even eating dead oak tree leaves as well.

Dog eats a quality wet and dry dogfood, any thoughts from anyone? Maybe I should have the stools analized?

2. 4STER

4STER

i have always heard that they eat grass for upset stomachs,,,not sure but my dog eats grass occasionally as well- no reason or pattern

3. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Your vet probably told him to get more fiber in his diet

:supergrin:

4. Blueyedog2

Blueyedog2

My dog eats grass contantly. I figure it is OK as long as he's not asking for salad dressing. :supergrin:

5. Hobear

Hobear

A common behavior with dogs. I've heard about the upset stomach thing, there may be something to it. All I know is, I've had a bunch of dogs (eight) and they all ate grass at one time or another.

6. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

My GSD is doing the same thing, grazing on the lawn. Was at the vet to get him routine shots and asked about this behavior, and he told me it was normal and his GSD was doing the same, the fresh spring grass tastes good to them.

No worries here, talk care.

7. michaelj1978

michaelj1978

As long as he's not smoking it, don't worry.

8. tyesai

tyesai

They do that every now and again.

9. win231

win231

Both of my Labs eat grass. It's normal. Dogs need some greens in their diet to neutralize acids present in high-protein (carnivorous) diets. That's why they like cucumber & lettuce. Dogs are actually omnivorous. Also, for some dogs who vomit after eating grass, they eat the grass to intentionally vomit to get rid of something upsetting their stomach (according to vets I've spoken to).

10. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

we call ours "cow-dogs" they eat grass, barf, eat grass again. Was at the vet today, he mentioned that although they all do it, it's not really great for them because a) they aren't cows or goats, and b) they could eat grass that some other animal has defecated on, and pick up some nasty bacteria type stuff.

One of the vets actually suggested adding a little bit of romaine to their food. :eyebrow: